or Connect

Posts by 5in9years

I found The Explosive Child quite helpful with my, um, explosive son. The root of his rage was inflexibility-he has little tolerance for changes in routine or plan, or for disappointment. The book has some techniques for dealing with the rages and for helping kids develop self control and some flexibility.
I can't help you with the picking up part-mine haven't mastered that yet. But begging for stuff isn't a huge problem for the kids. First, for little purchases like candy and small toys, the kids earn spending money by doing chores in the house. Chores aren't optional, they just get paid to do them. So when they ask for candy, i ask "do you have any money?" At about 3yo or so we usually have a round of whining and begging, but then they figure it out and it's generally...
If the chair is used for kids, it's totally inappropriate and i would not be okay-not only with my child being put in it, but with my church using it. I would ask a few questions first, though. Is there any chance it is a prop being stored? We have interesting looking props stored in various classrooms in our church.
Our issue with my grandparents was the horrid snacks they pushed on our kids over our protests every time we visited (weekly at the time). I don't mean a homemade cookie-I mean the Jumbo size Little Debbie cake, or whole sleeves of Ritz crackers right before dinner. I got fed up one day, and when I said "They don't need sweets; we're having dinner in a few minutes." and Granny started handing out the cakes anyway, I loaded the kids up and left. After the second time,...
Quote: Originally Posted by That Is Nice I didn't follow that part of the advice. It didn't seem right to me at all. I think food is never something that should be withheld for discipline or behavior modification. Treats, sure. But not nourishment. I don't think the intention is behavior modification by withholding food. It's more an assumption that if the child is throwing food instead of eating it, he's probably finished eating. At least,...
Also remember that many kids get picky just about the time their growth slows and their appetites drop. So he probably needs less food than you think-at least, most kids need less food than most people think. It's definitely worth getting the junk food out of the house and giving him only healthy options, but if there are any healthy foods he eats at all, I would make them available. If he hates certain foods, see if there's a common thread. I gag on mushy foods to...
Thanks. I know a lot of it is very typical teen stuff, but I also know a lot of it is longstanding habit with her, and her mom still behaves like a 15yo. She's really a sweet kid. We've had some amazing moments lately. As a positive example, a year ago, if she accidentally hurt someone, she would beat them to me crying that it was an accident and she shouldn't be in trouble. Of course, we don't punish for accidents (I don't give her any consequences at all-dh makes the...
If he's too scared, then I think I would probably intervene to protect him. It was absolutely an abuse of power, and I doubt he's the first victim.
Could be yeast. Have you tried an OTC yeast cream?
It's an odd time of year for RSV. Of course it could be. More importantly, though-wheezing always merits a trip to the doctor. If the doctor is not available within an hour or so, it merits a trip to the ER. Tiny airways can get tighter really fast. I reread your post and it didn't seem clear whether the baby is actually wheezing or you are worried about wheezing b/c you've been reading up on RSV. If baby is just congested and miserable but not wheezing and doesn't...