or Connect

Posts by porenn

Oh- and just because its interesting: o deworm her animals, my aunt (who owns an herb farm over run with cats to control the mice and chipmunks) swears by horseradish root- she allows it to root in their water bowl, and maintains that it works to get rid of the worms. (not heartworm- just the other intestinal parasites.) I can't find any written documentation of this method, nor can I say it works from experience- my dog won't leave it alone long enough for it to root-...
My vet is a homoeopath, and has a very strict policy of not over vaccinating, so when he tells me I need to get a certain vaccine, I do it. The only ones he is adamant are the Lyme vaccine, distemper and rabies. The rabies he will only do every three years (except for that first year). In order to licence your dog in my city, you must have a valid rabies certificate. I licence my dog because its the law, and because I see it as part of being a responsible pet owner....
I'm fairly certain this goes in nighttime parenting... My daughter will be 2 next week. We co-sleep, and are not trying to move the her into her own bed, although she does have on, and sometimes we do start her in her bed- she always ends up with us tho. Sometimes when she wakes at night she screams like she's getting stabbed. I can usually get her calmed down, but if my husband tries, she screams even harder, and and actively turns her back to him to snuggle...
I don't believe in medicating fevers, but sometimes I just need to check in- I assume, after reading other threads, that if she's drinking and sleeping, there really isn't that much to worry about, right? My daughter started running a fever this morning- she's 23 months old- I noticed that she was a little off because she put herself to bed for a nap at 11 am. She woke up flushed and a little warm, so i took off the vest she fell asleep in, and she played normally...
So I just watched the local news coverage of this, and was appalled at it, and I really would like to write to the station AND post an on-line response, but I want to know if I can post some of the links that I found here. In particular, I would like to rebut their claim that circumcision prevents sexually transmitted diseases, the statement that the side effects are minor, and that there are severe social ramifications for choosing not to circumcise (did I spell that...
Hmmmmm.... I can see a weekend project coming on. Do felted sweaters have to be 100% wool to work? I have several 80-20 blends (with acrylic, I think) that found their way into the dryer that I'd like to use up.
So, if using prefolds. you just snappi the diaper and pull wool pants on over? I assume they have to be fairly snug, more like leggings than pants, right?
My daughter has been sleeping on her tummy since she could roll herself there... about three months or so. i figure that if she is strong enough to get there by herself, she's strong enough to move her head if she needs to. Sometimes she sleeps on her tummy, sometimes her back, sometimes her side. I guess it never bothered me because she sleeps with me, and I knew if there was a problem. For naps I always make sure that there aren't too many heavy blankets or pillows...
Quote: Originally Posted by bec Porenn, it isn't a good idea to keep going back to phase 1. It isn't a sustainable phase. It was never intended as the weight loss phase. You won't see the same kind of quick weight loss subsequent times you go back onto it. I would just stick with phase 2. The weight will come off! Well, it was a thought! Isn't there something in the book that says you can stay in phase one for up to four weeks if you have...
Car that is.... The weather here is getting nicer, and I am gearing up for the argument with my husband where I say "no, the baby CAN'T take a ride in the back of your mother's convertible because I don't think its safe." Last summer I was able to avoid this argument all together because she was brand new, and everyone understood that I wasn't comfortable with her riding in any car but mine, but my mother-in-law has already started making noises about how she can't...