or Connect

Posts by gabysmom617

thanks for the gentle direction, but i was referring to any other race other than the white people hypothetically using the word.  i knew what i was writing when i wrote that and i'm fine with it. thanks anyway, though.
exactly.    
rest assured that regardless of what these children say, the racial aspects have not been removed from the word, at least not yet.  Not enough for one to attempt to discuss the word minus race.  And I find it interesting that the group you say are using it are also a minority group.  The true test of whether or not the racial tones of the word have been removed entirely would be if you see white people openly using the word in reference to each other without nary a...
  to understand why it's accepted by some, you HAVE to discuss the racialness behind the word.  what makes it feel ok for some is all about race.  you can't seperate that aspect from the word.  It's not like some generic insult that is sometimes used for race.  The whole derogatory nature of the term is completely engulfed in racism.  To understand why some are ok with using the word whilst simultaneously attempting to totally dismiss the racial part of it is to make the...
one other point i thought about was that an insulting name hurts less when the person calling you that name would and has been called by the same exact name by mean people.  It becomes sort of an inside "I get it. We are >><< here" joke/thing, even if the person really is not trying to be nice.  I feel safe to say that this can go for pretty much any insulting name. Imagine two people with compromised teeth, and one of these people calls the other Buck Toof!  and the...
4: also, as a black person, it's not my job to break down things so other people can understand.  If someone chooses to do this for you, you should acknowledge that they did you a favor.  You shouldn't demand to know and then act like you're entitled to this breakdown.    in the same way I was never entitled to explain to anyone why I was breastfeeding my children.  I did as a favor when I felt like it.  But can you imagine if someone was acting all entitled for an...
your priviledge is showing.  sigh.   1: it's not cool to demand answers from "the horses' mouths"  because shows a complete lack of notice to the issues of your fellow humen on your part.  If you paid enough attention to certain things you are wondering about, you wouldn't need to demand answers.  You'd see the answers for yourself.  And if they weren't completely forthcoming, you'd take the time to do reading on the matters.  To demand an explaination from those of...
I agree. You make us sound like labratory mice that you did an experiment on or something.  
I am a black woman.    Why do you care so much?  It's been my experience that people who aren't black who are thinking about it enough to go that much in debth into their observations and experiementation and questionings are looking for an excuse to be ok with using the word.  And deep down have a "how come 'they' can use it and i can't???" mindset.
I would have just  found them some sweaters and sent them outside. The 7yo was being a normal 7yo.  If you had an issue with her being there, you should have taken it up with your MIL.