or Connect

Posts by gabysmom617

Quote: Originally Posted by expecting-joy I do not suspect any kind of LD. Maybe I wasn't clear about the kinds of problems she's had at her school: 1. Teachers keeping her busy, because she's easy. This year's teacher described her as the perfect first-grader. 2. Teacher's trying to stump her, like it's a game. That was last year. 3. This year's teacher noted that she is clearly very, very bright and always gets the underlying subtext that the...
Quote: Originally Posted by carmel23 I would be careful relying on the school for a gifted assessment if the school doesn't play that game. A private school can simply say, "we can't meet the needs of your child," in the case of a learning disability, or worse, say they will but not actually do it. Private schools are good at marketing, and part of that is telling you what you want to hear. Also, be careful relying on school psychs for any...
Quote: Originally Posted by expecting-joy So much interesting feedback. I've only got a minute to get dinner going, but I'll come back. joeandsally: I do agree. We keep waiting for her to be given appropriate math work for her ability. I didn't post the example thinking hers was a brilliant example of divergent thinking. I disagree that her original answers were wrong. I'm not saying they were the right ones, either, though. I'm not sure what our...
i notice you said your kid had issues last year and has been having ongoing issues this year too. i don't know if you are in the US or not, but if you are here, the school systems are required by law, to teach in such a way that your child will understand. sometimes that can be as simple as an understanding with the teacher that he or she has to make sure to put a visual example up for every test, for instance, or it can go deeper than that sometimes. (i.e., pulling...
Quote: Originally Posted by expecting-joy There's a little history. The point is that my dd is very sensitive. No one actually teaches her math. They're still "assessing" where she is. She wants to please. She wants to learn. We see how being told she is wrong sometimes really affects her. She needs to learn how to deal with that, of course, but we'd like the teachers to take a little responsibility for how they present things and respond to her...
Poor baby. If one of my babies was throwing up blood and mucus the last thing on my mind would be what I can't miss. Even if the throwing up is something that has happened in the past, it would still bother me. I'd probably have the kid in the ER because of the blood thing. If it's something that you absolutely can't miss, and you trust your parents, you can have them take her to the ER and relieve them as soon as you can. but i can tell you, if it was me i don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 It's quite clear that you have never had an ear infection. I have had many as a child and as an adult. The pain is unlike really anything else I've been through. I'd broken bones, had a completely natural childbirth, and various other painful things. Only EIs can reduce me to a sobbing mess. The pain can be incredible. I have also had my ear drums burst a few times. The pain leading up to that is unlike anything...
Quote: Originally Posted by MrsMcCullen07 They "normally" take the child to the nursery for pediatricians to see them and they close the curtains .. I can refuse that can't I ... I have very strong feelings about this as my son was in the nursery for 11 hours and we were told he never woke up (at 1 day old) .. I had so much pain meds I didn't realize how long he was gone and DH was exhausted from being up with me 3+ days .. well needless to say when I...
Oh, ok. if it's something that she's distracted out of and only does in very specific circumstances, I agree, it might be a power/control thing. I'm sorry, I don't know what to suggest in that situation.
honestly, if this was my kid, i'd be inclined to take him to the dr just to make 100% sure that it's not anything. I have thought that my kid (he's 4 years old) was faking about something and have been wrong before. but it as never anything as serious as what you're describing though. In those instances, he seemed to be so obviously faking. I think that, unless they are crying, it can sometimes be easy to mistake a 4 year old's symptoms as just pretend. But when he...