or Connect

Posts by bosch

Hi mamas, I'm posting this on behalf of my cousin, currently living in Apple Valley, MN. He has a 5-day-old son, and it sounds like the little guy might be tongue tied (I've been trying to help the mama with breastfeeding advice long-distance from Connecticut). If they don't get a diagnosis from their peds, is there another doctor or dentist in the area that does tongue tie diagnosis and clipping?   Additionally, any recommendations for a chiropractor that does...
I used Thai Kitchen brand, I think. It does have guar gum in it, so maybe that helps? I just stuck it in my stand mixer and walked away. It took a long while, but it happened eventually. I usually make whipped cream by whipping it by hand, but I just can't do it with coconut cream.
This is way, way easier than you think. Use canned coconut milk (full fat) but DO NOT shake the can. Open it carefully and scoop out the "cream" on top. Whip with electric or stand mixer. I've sweetened with agave with no problems, but you need to be careful about adding too much because it might not let the cream "set up". I've never been faithful about keeping everything super-cold, either. That's it. No gelatin, no other additives. Seriously. If too much of the...
Funny, I only just found my way back to MDC after a long hiatus, and look, I've found my tribe already. My daughter just turned 4 at the end of February, and I have never been more sure that I only want one. Most of our friends have a second one already, and my best friend from college just had her second one (two under two!) over the weekend. I teach natural childbirth classes and am a doula, so I do get to be around babies a fair bit, so I think that helps squash...
Quote: Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate I think a lot of Dads are nervous BECAUSE they don't get the education to recognize the stages of labor and the natural processes of birth. My DH was a total emotional basketcase every time I talked about birth UNTIL we got into the classes. Once he started recognizing the "emotional signposts" and was given concrete techniques to work WITH me while I'm in labor, he started getting excited. Now whenever I...
Aw, you sound like me, oh... two nights ago, only my daughter is nearly two. The anger? The throwing/tantrums? Feeling like "this isn't me"? Yeah, I'm there. I've got to echo what the other mamas have said... taking some time for yourself is beyond important... consider it a necessity like food and water at this point. You can't think of it as being selfish any more than you'd consider eating a full meal or drinking a glass of water selfish. It's what you need RIGHT...
The windows have been open in each room on and off during the days, as the weather permits. Do you dilute the vinegar/peroxide, or just use it straight?
We've been dealing with some recurring colds/icky stuff these last few weeks, and it's starting to get to me. I've been cleaning the countertops with my usual 7Gen cleaner, we've been trying to keep up with handwashing (but *you* try to wash a 20month old's hands every time she touches her nose!), etc, but I still feel like there's stuff lingering around here. Were I more mainstream, I'd probably be spraying every surface down with Lysol or that sprayable Clorox, but...
I've been giving my daughter probiotics (powdered) in her sippy cup of water since she started drinking it... maybe around 1year or so? She's also been taking a chewable multi since she was about 14mos. She's 19mos now and still BF'ing but I figure the probiotics can't do anything but help, and the multi is good on the days when she's not eating or nursing much.
Thanks, all. We've had a few nights that were a bit better, though last night wasn't so great. She spent the entire night in our bed, nursing the whole night long and moaning/talking in her sleep, kicking, the works. Certainly reminded me why we started to transition her into her own bed! That being said, at least she wasn't *awake* the whole night, so even though our sleep was restless and interrupted, it was still a fairly decent night. Today she seems...