or Connect

Posts by spyiispy

Amanda.....I recommend "The Hand-Sculpted House" by Ianto Evans. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846 If you're not familiar with cob building......it is *dirt* cheap! THe basic elements are earth, sand, water and straw. Think cob cottages; Devonshire, England, white-washed cottages with thatched roofs. That's just one example. Its incredibly durable; some cob homes are over 500 years old! Plus, you can literally sculpt your home.......neat-shaped...
I am subbing ladies! Lets see...what do I have goin' on in the kitchen......a few crumbs of delish sourdough French bread left on the cutting board and that's about it. When I make my meals...I always double up and freeze one. Tonight, I think we'll have a yummy turkey pie. I have yet to find a good NT recipe for flaky pie crust. This one is just made with fresh ground flour, free range fresh eggs, raw butter, apple cider vinegar and water and that's about as NT as it...
Hey Capt........I got my starter from Carl Griffith (well...his friends, as Carl's dead now). His is the 1812 Oregon Trail starter. Its free...just send a SASE to..... http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/source.html I've had it for many months now and it always gives a very good flavor and performs beautifully. It says it could take up to 6 weeks to get your starter, but I got mine in 2. The friends gather the envelopes from a post office box once a week or so. Lisa
Hey kefir-lovers! I am in desperate need of some kefir grains to be mailed to my sister, who was just diagnosed with Lyme's disease. She's quite knowledgeable about herbs and using diet to heal, but needs some good probiotics. My mom's a master herbalist and reflexologist, so we were raised this way. BUT....I don't have enough kefir grains in my supply right now to send her. Could anyone send her some? She's in Pennsylvania. If you have some....but don't know how to...
ahhhh, the sponge. It is, IMO, absolutely necessary for flavor development and a good crumb. Also, it does something really cool, nutritionally.....it starts to break down the phytates in the flour (an anti-nutrient that will block absorption of other nutrients & minerals). Bake on!! Lisa
We also don't eat pork for religious reasons. We keep the dietary laws God provided in the Bible.
Hi Annie!!!!!!!! How ya liking Pennsylvania?? I'm just subbin' to the thread ladies. Right now....I'm perfecting sourdough bread....(check out the bread bakers unite thread...) and trying to figure out something my 4 year old will eat willingly for breakfast that doesn't start with C-H-E-E-R-I-O LOL Grandma has those icky little O's at her house and he's taken a liking to them. The child needs protein in the AM or his behavior goes south as the day goes on. How do...
Don't be sorry bout asking questions....I've derived so much information from mamas on here; I'm just happy to share some knowledge I might possess I got my crock from the thrift store. They always have them there. Its a little clay "jar" with a clay lid and metal spring latch. Make sense?? Chances are....if you visit your thrift shop, you'll come home with one. If you don't have one...you can just as easily use a glass jar. I do use a mixture of unbleached...
I know what ya mean, artisticat. I just recently found a couple techniques that have really improved my French bread. The one thing, being the proofing box (see my last post for that info) and the second, being making sure there is steam in the oven right before you place the loaves in. I also bake mine on a pizza stone...but you can also use a couple of stone tiles, I've read. If you want....I could send you some sourdough starter (its dried, then pulverized in a...
Hey Olivia!! (I replied about the sling, btw). I like Nigella Lawson as well...wish I looked like her too!! She has a recipe for Hasselbeck potatoes that is AWESOME. My kids call them caterpillar potatoes, cuz that's what they look like. I'm not real proficient in metric...but with bread-making, I've gotten to where I just eye-ball the measurements. Would you like some dried sourdough starter?? Its VERY simple....and makes awesome bread. Its from a man named Carl...