or Connect

Posts by rosiesmama

I don't think it's wrong or confusing to take away a toy that one child has snatched from another. It's righting a wrong. If I never intervened with my two kids on this level, then the bigger one would always be snatching toys away from the little one, and the little one would always be hitting and biting the older one in retaliation. Kids have to learn not to take things away from other kids. There is a distinction between taking a toy away wrongfully and...
sorry!
I'd put the silly outfit on him and take a picture and send it to MIL, along with a thank you note, but I would put on my own choice for the Santa photo. It was nice of her to send the outfit, but sorta rude to ask that you put it on him for a photo that you're paying for. Anyway, everyone knows that part of the joy of being a mama is getting to pick cute outfits for your kids photos. Until they refuse to let you pick their clothes, that is! You could offer to...
Sorry to delete!!
Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel better knowing that others can see my perspective! I will definitely take the steps recommended here to discourage unleashed dogs from running up to my kids in the future, or discourage their owners I mean. I love animals and want my kids to, also--but I want them to be smart around dogs too. It definitely goes both ways. It's a bad idea to let little kids run up to unknown dogs and/or treat them like big stuffed animals!...
I'm trying to get some perspective on an issue that came up between a friend and I this week. Repeatedly since I became a mom, I've had dog owners allow their big, unknown dogs to run up to my kids, and scare them/knock them over. I really hate this. It seems disrespectful of my kids' space. Many times, the dog owners have called out (as their dogs are running towards my petrified children) "Oh, he's just friendly!!" or "She won't bite!" I don't care. It's scaring my...
I don't think it is normal for a male entering adolescence to be engaging in sexual acts with his sister who is significantly younger. An 11 year old boy is old enough to know that having sexual experiences with his little sister is inappropriate. and since he was doing it when your mother wasn't home, it sounds like he knew it was something he had to hide. And given that you had a difficult family situation, I would say that your brother was acting out sexually as a...
I'm sorry, like I said I don't know much about autism. I hope that the original poster's husband can get some kind of help. But if there is no therapy available for his problems, I am wondering if he should be married. I believe that marriage is for better or worse, sickness or health, and I wouldn't leave my husband if he was physically disabled or suffering from mental illness, but I think it's got to be a partnership on the whole. I can understand if her husband is...
I don't really know much about autism, but I just wanted to add my two cents as someone who is married to a man who was diagnosed ADHD after several years of marriage. My husband was also very unsympathetic when I was ill, devoted little effort to the friendship aspect of our marriage, and couldn't seem to do a single household chore without an accident or a disaster. He also took no initiative towards our social life as a family, and seemed to find caring for the children...
hipumpkim, I can relate to your feelings of "oh no, what is she doing now?!" I have felt that way about my brother sometimes. For the sake of your sanity, you might want to practise some phrases for the next time she calls you and tells you her woes, like, "I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to you, and it upsets me and makes me sad to hear all of this, but there isn't really anything I can do. I think you should talk to your counselor about this." And, it isn't evil...