or Connect

Posts by Attached Mama

Personally not a fan of Child's First Teacher b/c of her views on extended breastfeeding.   Rainbow Bridge is great. My fave was Heaven on Earth though which I thought was very practical. I am trying to remember what she said about discipline in there now though.... what did you not like?
Post partum depression has been linked to a shortage of vitamin D and omega 3 fats in the diet, so first thing i would consider is diet and supplements. Spend time in the sun w/o sunscreen too - jus 15-20 min midday will help. Make sure your diet contains 100% grassfed beef, 100% grassfed butter and dairy and wild caught oily fish such as salmon, pastured (not just cage free but chickens running in fields) eggs and look at Nordic supplements - all of which are high in...
I buy the bags of organic sprouted grain granola. They are pricey at about $10 per bag. However, I add in dried coconut, dried superberry mix (mulberry, goji etc) and some nuts so I about double the bulk of it. My daughter likes it in her yogurt. We have also made homemade granola bars with it by mixing some peanut butter with a bit of maple syrup and pressing into bars and chilling. Since it's just the two of us, it lasts a while.
I am hesitant to ever say there is one "right" way to eat as even with TF there was wide variety amongst cultures. Yet every culture evolved with some animal foods. In fact it is believed this is what led to the larger human brain. One scientific journal article found that lack of quality protein is resulting in increasingly smaller brain size in the last century.   However, I have observed several things: 1.) Many people who switch to a vegetarian diet are cutting...
As a psychology doctoral student and single mother I can relate to this question on a number of levels.   I was raised in an atmosphere in which spanking was the only way to correct a child. I have never hit my child and never will. I always thought I would raise her as I had been raised until I was pregnant with her and so protective of what I ate, etc to ensure she was growing strong and healthy. At that point I had a paradigm shift. How could I ever cause physical...
For what it's worth, here are my own experiences....   I went veg when i got a dog and realized how awesome animals were. I had never really liked meat much so I didn't miss it very much. After about 5 yrs being veg and with a newborn baby I was SO RUN DOWN. When dd was about 2 I discovered traditional foods here on Mothering. Several people recommended the book Full Moon Feastt by Jessica Prentice to me. I can't recommend it enough as an amazing way of connecting...
I think you are talking about two separate processes that affect grains: soaking vs. sprouting. Along with fermenting, all three processes help to neutralize anti-nutrients in grains and legumes. Soaking usually has to be with something acidic such as dairy, whey, vinegar water etc. It makes sense that something split can't sprout - but could still benefit from being soaked - just different ways of getting the same result. Apparently by the time the grain/legume has...
Agreed, you have to ask. Also, if it is grain finished, the chemical composition of the meat changes rapidly to be the same as any grain fed animal. Omega 3's espec diminish rapidly in the meat if it the animal is fed any grain at all.   On the other hand, if you can find a farmer's market that sells Bison you might get extra lucky as we have done. Not only is it 100% grassfed, but Bison/Buffalo are considered "exotic" meat and not governed the same way as beef by...
One last thing.... a lot of my Waldorfy friends have registered their children (with the school district) at age 6 for Kindergartern rather than first grade. That gives you another year before mandatory testing :) Plust if your state and/or district is picky about what is learned in a particular grade, this makes it easier.
We have used some Oak Meadow and are switching this year to Christopherus. I agree that Christopherus is far more true to Waldorf philosophies and Oak Meadow is only Waldorf inclined and introduces academics far earlier. Christopherus also seems to have much more of the arts based work one would typically expect in a Waldorf school. For example the curriculum includes form drawing and crayon drawing instruction.   Little Acorn is very inexpensive and choc-full of...