or Connect

Posts by kohlby

It's not an age, it's when either the child weans themselves or I'm ready to wean.  It's more about circumstances than an age.  I weaned my first right before 5 years old.  The plan had been to wean him at 1 but I learned more about nursing and it helped him in so many ways.  I weaned him not due to age - but because I was ttc and tandeming and have rough pregnancies.  I felt that his need to nurse was less than my need to wean.  No regrets at all.  My second child...
There were not any UA shirts locally in his size.  I called around to several locations.  I used the UA website for suppliers since there's no UA store anywhere near me.  But the suppliers didn't start small enough.  He's been going shirtless at home and that's actually helped a lot.  I realize that doesn't teach him to deal with it but it makes him more comfortable while we're waiting.    As for getting an evaluation, I would do that if the plan was to do therapy -...
3 years old was a VERY rough year for my oldest child.  I am certain he would have been diagnosed with SPD but my old ped was clueless so we toughed through it.  We got through it - but it wasn't pretty.  What helped the most was finding safe ways for him to get his mad out.  He had to get his emotions out.  He really wanted to be good, but he was impusive and couldn't control his behaviors.  We came up with safe things to do - like he was allowed to punch the couch...
Hi, my youngest does not have a formal diagnosis of SPD but he definately has always had sensory quirks and did get therapy to help with his eating. (He was incapable of eating anything but breastmilk until 2 years old)  He had that therapy through his first speech therapist.  He's had his other quirks but we've managed to get through them - like wouldn't take a bath due to the water until 2 years old - but now he loves baths!  Rain is an entirely different story...
I voted 19-24 months, but that's really not true.  I have three kids and was thinking I could only vote once.  It was 18 months with ODS - and I cut him down in order to get my fertility back.  It was 16 months with DD and I was tandeming - but didn't have to cut her down.  It was 25 months with YDS while tandeming.  So, I voted for the average which put it in 19-24 months even though none of my three were exactly in that range.   As for what was going on: *ODS - I...
I started in May of 2003.  It's now Sept of 2012.  So, that's 9 years plus 4 months - 112 months total   112 months consecutive with 61 months of that tandeming.   *If I get to count the overlaps, then that would be 173 months, but I understand realistically, I've been nursing *only* 112 months since May 2003.   ....And counting.  But I'm on my third and last child.  (ODS weaned a month shy of 5 years.  DD weaned a week shy of 6 years.  YDS is 3.5 years).
 I was tandeming at the start of one of my pregnancies but I miscarried at 9 weeks.   ODS was a couple months shy of 5 and DD had recently turned 3.  I used that opportunity to make weaning easier since I knew I didn't want to triandum nurse and have rough pregnancies/deliveries.  I felt my need to wean ODS was greater than his need to nurse.  In my other times pg, both nurslings happily nursed.  I've been pg 5 times while nursing and miscarried 3 of those, so only two...
I homeschool, so they don't go off to school.  Because then, how would I be able to breastfeed them for their milk at lunch??!! (Please read that last statement with sarcasm).  My oldest weaned right before 5 years old and my middle child right before 6 years old.  My third is only 3.5 years old - so of course he's still nursing!  I don't consider him school age yet though.  I expect he'll be nursing at school age though.
I know several women that it took more than 2 years for.  As long as you're pretty sure that nursing is the cause, I wouldn't worry.  14.6 months is the average - but that is just that, an average.  It took me 18 months the first time, with actively cutting down, 16 months the second time while tandeming and not cutting down, and 25 months the third time while tandeming and not cutting down.
Since your baby is not a huge solid eater, I'd re-evaluate three months from now unless age is an enormous factor where 3 months would matter.  I thought I wanted to get pg when each child turned 1, but it was not possible due to lack of fertility and then losses.  Instead, there's almost 3 years between each gap  - and I love it!  At the time, I wasn't so sure though!  At 15 months, my oldest was not eating solids - at all.  My period returned at 18 months but my LP was...