or Connect

Posts by Rosie_Kate

I actually have the opposite. With goat milk, I get the most wonderful, thick, creamy kefir. When I switch to cow milk, it tends to be thinner and clumpy. The person I got my grains from used goat milk, but the person she got them from used cow. I've heard that you're not supposed to switch them from one sort of milk to another, but I don't really believe that. It doesn't seem to hurt the grains (nothing does!), it just makes a different consistency. Sorry I don't...
Things that are taught in school are not just for what a teenager needs to know NOW. It's supposed to prepare them for the rest of their lives. So, yeah, a teenager shouldn't be having babies NOW, but they most certainly should be learning about being parents! Should we have them wait until they actually have a baby in their 20s or whenever to learn about parenting? Just because they're learning it as kids/teens doesn't mean they have to use what they learn right away!...
My problem is that I am conflicted about what sort of iodine supp to take. I think I prefer a liquid as it seems that the dose is more controllable. I've looked at Kent's, Lugol's and some pharmaceutical grade stuff on Amazon. The most promising seems to be this Iosol Iodine: http://www.wellnessresources.com/pro...sol_iodine.php as it claims to be more absorbable and not irritate the stomach, but it doesn't appear to be Potassium Iodide. However, I've also consideredb the...
When I went cold-turkey, I made it into a "competition" of sorts (and as a PP said, I had to WANT to give it up). One day, I didn't eat any sugar all day. At the end of the day, I said, "wow, I didn't have any sugar at all today! Yay me. Lets see if I can do it again tomorow." And I would add one day onto another, racking up my count, one day at a time. And then I started to notice how good I felt! I also found Sugar Blues to be a good motivator. What a great...
: I'm glad to read this info. I pretty much have all the sypmtoms of low thyroid function: cold intolerance (to the point of wearing sweatshirts when other are in short sleeves), PMS, infertility, lethargy, depression, etc. I don't know that the patch test is very accurate, but for me, it's gone in 6 hours. I've often thought about iodone supps, but I'm not sure I should put myself on them because I wouldn't want to take too much. I can't afford to go to a doc...
Quote: Originally Posted by AJP HerbanGirl, that sort of puts a new spin on heredity, doesn't it? With past traumas, including nutritional trauma, passing down through the generations, all kinds of oddities - emotional, mental and physical - could show up that would be difficult to unravel without a complete picture of past issues. I wonder what connection that could have with the tooth problems my family has experienced (with baby teeth having weak...
Depends on the size. I buy grain in 25# bags, so those go in big bakery buckets (most bakeries will sell or give them to you with their nice tight lids). Most beans and popcorn I buy in 5# bags, so those go into glass gallon jars (fit's 5# perfectly, but these jars can be hard to find, you have to keep an eye out). When I don't have enough jars, I put a bunch of bags of various things into one bucket. Nuts and rolled/steel cut oats go in the freezer. Flour left over...
jauncourt-- Large amounts of good fats are very healthy, but not if you can't digest them. If you have trouble digesting fats, it is because your liver and gallbladder are congested and not able to handle very much fat digestion. There are liver cleansing protocols (time-consuming and icky) as well as herbs you can take (easier and often more effective) to improve your liver/gallbladder function. You shouldn't have to just live with a digestion problem (at the expense...
I usually buy all our groceries each month for about $200-250. (or that's what I aim for!) The most important thing, I think, is to have plenty of good fat, like some decent butter and cream, on hand. That way, you can get more milage out of your starchy foods. You'll feel more satisfied and won't have the blood sugar spikes. Potatoes, oatmeal, and rice and beans are very nutritious when you add fat. The use some eggs (usually cheap if you can get them from a neighbor...
This is what immune systems are for! Exposure to germs is good for us! Germs are unavoidable, and if you try to kill them, you'll kill the good stuff, too, which are more important. I try to focus on eating good stuff and cutting sugar so that our immune systems will do their jobs well.