or Connect

Posts by mama2mygirl

I don't get it. 1.5 is a lot or a little?
Does he go to school with these children? Is it a problem there? My dd is seven and she's never heard the words these children are calling your son. I wouldn't let her around those children. I don't see a benefit to it. I'd drive her to another park in a different area if I had to. (If you don't drive, this is more complicated.) I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this. It sounds really hard.
I wouldn't actually do things with her. It sounds like she wants you to to chat with her while you hold her newborn or whatever. The problem is that you also have a baby. There is no way you can do that if you have to follow your own baby around. Also, I think they were beyond rude when they laughed at your anger.
parties or events do you and your family go to each week? I don't think of us as social. We homeschool and we go to a small church. We don't live near family but we have friends and our dd has friends. My complaint in the other thread was that suddenly at every party, the kids are being given two cupcakes or pieces of cake. When did this start??? That's been settled but, it turns out that we are partying freaks. This week we had one graduation party. A young woman at...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride That would drive me pretty crazy. I couldn't handle that kind of junk food onslaught. Our only regular meetup is a homelearning thing every couple of weeks (several MDC moms come). Each family brings a healthy snack. Okay - there's some variance in how people define "healthy", and it's not perfect...but it's not bad. I used to bring a storebought fruit tray (that was a time thing), but now I bring kale chips....
Quote: Originally Posted by janasmama I, personally have decided that I will spend time with people who I really enjoy being with. If I imagined a situation similar to yours happening to myself I think I might not really be finding too many similarities with all of them. Maybe if you stop spending time with *all* of the people then you will find a healthy balance of allowing sweet treats when spending time with those that you truly enjoy spending your...
Quote: Originally Posted by riverscout Maybe all the crunchies and unschoolers have all been reading stuff on MDC. I see a lot of "I let them self-regulate, they'll never learn to live in the real world if you restrict sugar, they will go crazy when they leave your house and get fat if you don't let them have candy now, etc" and my personal favorite "I uncookie" . I followed that philosophy for while and it worked until around my daughter's fourth...
Quote: Originally Posted by AbbieB I really do not understand the issue here. Why does anyone care what other members of a group are eating? Isn't that up to the kids and parents to decide? DD has been to her share of parties and there never has been a restriction on how much she should eat other than everyone gets a piece of cake/a cupcake/a cookie before anyone interested goes back for seconds. I would think it was weird for a host to say no to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Evergreen I see parties as a time for overindulgence. Plus due to slacker RSVPs I never know how many cupcakes are going to be enough so usually end up making 2 boxes (that's 48 cupcakes). If there are leftovers sure I offer another. I have a child with sugar sensitivities myself so I do understand your frustration but that is why I choose to limit how many parties we go to because it really isn't fair to her to take...
Come to think of it, there was one party where another mama said no. DD2, before I made the new rule, was saying, "But Mama, ALL the other kids get to have two cupcakes!" Another mama chimed in, "J doesn't get to have another one either, H." There was one more mama who said no but caved into the pressure.