or Connect

Posts by CharlotteSometimes

I've gotten some great recipes here before, so here's another try: Anyone have a good bbq sauce recipe? I'm down to just a few things that I buy that are processed, and sauce for grilling is one of them. I took a look at the ingredients on the back and I about had a heartattack. Surely there is something simple and honest I could do? Preferably something I could make like once a week and refrigerate? Dh is, shall we say, liberal with his use of sauce, and prefers to...
Wow, I can't wait to try these. Thanks everyone for the advice!
So I guess I'm still wondering whether I can mow them all down or whether I have to just lop off the ones that just fruited and leave the rest alone? (Or, do I just do what I did this year and let them do what they want and trim them when they get crazy.... I mean, I've already canned 5 quarts, we've eaten about 2-3 out of hand, and there's probably another 4 quarts still out there. It's not like we're hurting for berries. )
Haha! I think I've got it now! I just did another batch using Pomona Pectin and various jars. The Pomona worked brilliantly. But I did discover that all the jars set perfectly except for the wide-mouth jars. I have no idea why that would be, but at least it took me just one screwed up batch to realize that tall narrow jars plus Pomona = excellent homemade jam. Thanks everyone!
Very similar recipes - I'm thinking I can do half whole wheat and it'll be swell. Thanks a lot!
Silly, really, but I just realized that even though I bake all of our bread and make everything else from scratch, I still buy our tortillas. And a lot of them, at that. So I think it's time for me to branch out. I'm looking for a tortilla recipe that is preferably at least partially whole wheat, does not use lard or shortening, and results in tortillas that are easily fridged or frozen (ie I'd rather make a bunch at once). TIA!!!
So when the berries are all gone, can I just go out with the scythe and whack it all down? And then should I rake up all the canes and compost them, or should I leave them over the winter as mulch? One of the reasons I'd like to just hack it up is that we have some apple trees intermixed that died during a really bad ice storm a few years back and I'd like to cut them down this winter and then try to restrain the berries next year as they come up. I'm wondering if I start...
Hmmmm - I think it called for 7 cups sugar for 5 cups mashed berries. I will have to look into the low sugar pectin. A friend mentioned that my berries are probably extra sweet since they are pretty much wild... The soft set doesn't bother me really, it's just the sweetness. I boiled it really hard for 10 min like they said. Though I am wondering if we are at enough of an elevation to need a couple extra minutes. And I'm guessing I can't, um, reboil them, right? I would...
oh, it hurts so good. We have this massive briar of blackberries and there are just so many berries everywhere. Except I can't get to half of them because it is, well, a jungle. Anyone have any advice for how to take a big thorny out-of-control patch and calm it down a little? I imagine the plants would benefit from being a lot shorter and prodcing fewer, bigger berries. We hacked down a lot of it in the spring, and you can't even tell. I have no idea what to do with...
Oh, I am so miffed. We have this amazing huge briar of black berries in the backyard, so I picked a huge amount of berries, and instead of stuffing them in my and dd's face, I made jam according to the Ball pectin instructions. I opened it today and it's runny and so sweet that I am still in shock. Is is possible that that my berries are just much less tart than one would expect and didn't need so much sugar in the recipe? And will it set a bit better over the next...