or Connect

Posts by MrsSurplus

I'm, obviously, late to the conversation and I hope all worked out well (or, at least, better than it was going) for the Chistmas holiday.  I suspect that part of the reason you have the weird schedule of never having more than one day at a time with the children had to do with their ages at the time of the decree (at least, that's the tact I'd take with the court) and now your BF could argue that the kids are older and not only is it far easier for them to acclimate for...
I'll try to make a long story less long...   My ex-husband and I have 3 kids from our marriage.  The eldest is on her own, the next is 18 and a senior in high school.  The youngest will be 17 in February.  Until the summer of 2010 all of the children have lived with me since my ex and I split in 1998.  The ex has tried, for years and years, to entice our 2 girls (the oldest and the youngest of our children) to live with him.  I finally capitulated in 2010 against my...
We live on 27 acres. Dh is a horse trainer and the income from that meets our living needs. We also raise numerous critters and sell a few steers every year (butchered - meat- not live) and a pig or two (same way) and that covers butchering one of each for our consumption as well as covering our winter hay bill ($5,000 this winter!). Hubby, however, got trampled about 6 weeks ago and while, thank God, he's doing well now, he still has vertigo so his work is limited. ...
I'm aiming for ~$80 each.  I'm figuring $30 for the gift from us, $20 for a joint gift from their sibs, $15 from the pajama fairy (yeah, started that when we only had one...now we have 6!) and $15 for stockings.  I'm working on making a number of gifts (some for the kids, many for extended family.)  We really try to emphasize activities: sledding day with family, going out to cut the Christmas tree, caroling, etc... 
Lots of great advice here.  I also think this sounds like very typical 19mo behavior.    <>   But you can be reasoned with, correct?  If your husband wanted you off the train, he wouldn't have had to pack you, right?  I think that's something we...
LOTS of good ideas!  I am defiinitely a believer in making children apologize to others: it is a consequence in itself (it is humbling) and it is a reminder that we're not the only people in the room and that we need to respect the rights of others as well.    Amy, I also would suggest that it's possible that your 7yo isn't so much the instigator as much as it is a dynamic thing.  That is, I have 6 children - 3 older from my first marriage and 3 younger from my...
Wow.  That is awful!  I'm so sorry.  Will Medicaid cover a Naturepath?  We have used a Naturepath exclusively for the past 7 or 8 years and she is totally onboard with extended breastfeeding, non-vaxxing, etc..  Good luck - I hope you find a health care provider with more sense and tact!
    Sounds like you have a very normal 2yo boy - and I don't care if my children sit still while I read them books.  Usually they want to because they want to see the pictures - *IF* they've initiated it.  Sometimes when I try to read to them because *I* want them to settle down and be more still, they aren't into the book and they'd rather do their own thing while they listen.   That said, I do believe there is great value in teaching your child to stretch...
I definitely see the value in the "make it a game" approach but we choose a different tact.  I want my children to know that hitting isn't a game and it's not funny.  So, I give a firm "NO hitting" and put them down.  If it continues I do remove them to where they can't hit anyone.  Generally, I have found that if I make my Serious Mom face while saying "NO hitting" and put them down, they get a curious look and try again - but not too many more times.  I'm sorry, Mamas;...