or Connect

Posts by JamieCatheryn

Not in my house. Screens in the bedroom easily lead to staying up too late, falling asleep watching it, staying away from the family to watch it, possibly watching things not allowed. No tv in my bedroom either, never ever. Portable ones like the tablet are ok if it is far from bedtime and I know what is playing.
Green smoothies with fruit? Serve baby greens salad and tell him he is a giraffe?
That early supported standing is common, I think it's involved in a reflex where they help push themselves out at birth. Keep helping a lot with the support and don't expect this to go straight to early standing and walking or anything, but if he's comfortable and happy then I say help him do it. Do avoid using things to prop him up, seats and jumpers and walkers do seem to cause harm sometimes, parents helping are more responsive to how they move and balance and it's a...
They never grow out of spilling bubble solution, I never trust them with that stuff at any age unless I don't care if it gets dumped and the immense disappointment which follows. Pouring a little at a time into a more stable bowl helps. Those other things seem like random curiosity, delight with how you pull one out and the next pops up, and lack of self control to know that's wrong and choose to stop. Correct her, childproof where you can, watch when you can, but keep it...
There is some chance of testing positive at birth if you stop now, but obviously your chances are lower than if you kept it up. Avoid making them suspicious and they may not test you, depends on protocol where you are. Address the trouble eating you don't just have to tough it out, is it nausea? Have you asked for Zofran from your OB? If course you can try ginger, lemon, mint, licorice, etc as well. And for sleep there are safer medical and alternative therapies too,...
Regarding the self regulation thing, I have a very lax limit of 2 hrs with screens per day. I give a warning when it's almost over. If the 7 year old fails to stop there are consequences, like the next day he loses time, or he is prone to fits after too much screen time and if he loses control he has to take a few days off. Then he blames me for letting him get that far. It is a teachable moment about self control and consequences, but it's also teaching me he wants the...
I don't know, finding weight gain trouble might be helpful if the person working with you has ideas besides "OMG you can't do this they are failing to thrive just give them formula or else!" Finding and fixing dietary sensitivities, latch troubles, jaundiced lethargy, tongue tie, babies not getting enough because mom is scheduling them, genuine undersupply, etc could really help make sure baby thrives if it's done patiently and as a team with mom.
tri, have you done any period of de-schooling? If he was having that many anxieties about school it would be especially helpful to get a break and just do life for a week or so. If you want to bring in seatwork do that after a break, and maybe it doesn't need to be the bulk of the day, just something to knock out really quick and move on to something more fun or productive. Many kids in countries and schools where they aren't given academics before age 7 catch up to those...
When my son went to public K for a couple months before we began homeschool they didn't have a lot of free play time but they didn't have real academics either, it was the worst of both worlds. All day it was papers of busywork, tv, and small candy bribes to be quiet. I visited a Waldorf kindergarten once, love the outdoor and indoor play time, handwork, and helping with chores that makes up most of the day. At 5 my first was ready for real academic lessons done quickly...
I do, with real soap in the shower, and before bed I use warm water and scrubbing. My face gets oily, if I don't keep up with it my chin breaks out.