or Connect

Posts by Mimi37

Thanks for checking in, Liz! I got distracted from this problem by a lovely case of food poisoning over the past couple of days... good times. But yes, the swelling seems to be going down and the soreness is fading. Thank goodness. Thanks for the info!
Quote: Originally Posted by dachshundqueen Is it one of the Montgomery's glands that is just blocked? If you develop other symptoms, it may have become infected. Yes! Thanks for that term, "Montgomery's glands"; I googled it and looked at images and I think that's what it is, just a little blocked or something. (I don't have fever or nausea or anything like that, just red and tender right around the area.) Is there common advice re what to do...
In the last couple of days, I've noticed a reddish, slightly raised/swollen, slightly tender-to-the-touch bump on my breast -- roughly the diameter of a pencil eraser. It's right at the edge of the areola. It's not a part that my baby has in his mouth while he's nursing (his latch is fine, I've just got huge areolas), which makes me think it's not a bleb/milk blister. I had one plugged duct once, when he was a newborn about 3 months ago, and it looked/felt different and...
37 weeks would be my rule of thumb. This time around, because DD was born big and healthy at 37w0d, I would feel fine with 36.5 and on -- my midwives agree, as long as everything is looking healthy and normal and not teensy at that point.
Hi there rlmueller-with-whom-I-share-a-midwifery-practice. I too find this annoying, mainly because my insurance won't cover it, as far as I can tell, but I think they WOULD if the midwives would bill for it directly. (At the other birth center I used for birth #1, there was a birth assistant, and the midwives billed for her as as staffer, and I paid nothing -- now, who knows if the insurance actually paid the midwives for it... as you know, that practice closed down in...
Are you concerned more about seeing this woman afterwards, socially? Or whether you'll feel comfortable letting loose with her during the labor? If the first, I suspect it will not be a big deal. How do you feel about the person who caught your first child? I *love* that midwife and wish I would bump into her more! Love love love. Love. The second might be more of a concern for me. I did know the midwife, and the doula, very well, of course, by the time I went into...
LOL, I was just thinking about that, the number of people who say, "ooh, when's the baby due?" and when I say January, they say, "ohhhhhh. So a ways to go then..." usually while staring at my belly as if to say "WOW, YOU LOOK HUGE ALREADY, LADY!" I think people just don't have anything to say after you tell them the date... I mean, "congrats!" would be perfect or something like "ah, a winter baby!" but that doesn't seem to occur to people!
I took one (together with DH) during my first pregnancy and found it really helpful. I know BF comes really naturally to some moms, especially those with family or friends who've breastfed and a supportive culture of breastfeeding around them, but that wasn't me -- I didn't have any friends with babies or family who'd breastfed. I'd basically never even SEEN anyone breastfeed! So a class was really helpful, plus it got me familiar with a local LC whose number I could hang...
All I care about is whether women are making truly informed decisions, and it sounds like you definitely are -- so well done you! Best wishes for a great birth.
We had DD at the Maternity Center when it was still open, and they too ask you to notify your ped that you will need to bring the baby in within 1-2 days for an appt. That is also standard at BirthCare. Our peds were very accommodating about making time for us. (We had DD Friday night and saw the ped Monday morning.) We had the metabolic screening done, and it was no big deal--in fact, I think DD was nursing the whole time. The ped also noticed DD's jaundice, which was...