or Connect

Posts by momofcutie

Anyone??? Someone mentioned somewhere on this board that TTO isn't safe around dogs, I think.
I have a kindergartener with a very high functioning form of autism spectrum disorder. He started a part-day, 3 days a week mothers day out program at a preschool I used to teach at at age 2 1/2 and he liked it a lot. There were only 7 kids in the class and one very sweet, grandmotherly teacher. The school closed in Nov. 2003, so we switched to our church's mothers day out program. It had 16 kids and 2 teachers in the classroom. My son started hating school and he...
My husband complains about the vinegar smell when I clean, so that's why I'm trying an EO in my vinegar and water all-purpose cleaner. I've been using just plain vinegar and water for years now, but I must say, this minty spray really smells good (and it's clearing my sinuses!) For the TTO, I'm hoping it'll replace Lysol to disinfect and bleach to kill mold and mildew. I'm not a fan of the way TTO smells, so I'd only buy this EO for its effectiveness, not its...
From what I understand, the above mentioned TTO solution will kill mold and mildew, but you can use other less potent mixes to help prevent it after you kill the existing stuff. Did you see that you can also use 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 16 oz. of water to kill mold and mildew? If I heard of more people using that, I might try it. I'm not a fan of the smell of TTO. I know Dr. Andrew Weil recommends either TTO or grapefruit seed extract to kill mold and...
I just made a recipe in the Clean House, Clean Planet book for a minty all-purpose cleaner. The recipe is for 16 oz, but I have 32 oz. spray bottles, so I doubled it. Here's what I made: half vinegar half water 40 drops of peppermint essential oil It smells good, but in other recipes I've seen, the amount of peppermint EO is a lot less. Is it ok to use this much peppermint EO in this cleaner? Does this amount make the cleaner toxic in any way? Also, a recipe...
Check out this link for recipes with TTO: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/1499 She says 2 tsp. of TTO in 16 oz. of water is the most powerful natural mold and mildew killer she's tried. 2 tsp. is about 200 drops I think. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what it says in the book Clean House, Clean Planet.) That's alot, but hopefully it'll work. That's next on my natural cleaners to try list. We also have a constant mold problem in our...
I don't think your pet expenses are too high. Sure, it'd be ideal if pets were free to care for, but like people, they're not. Does this amount include heart worm preventative and stuff for fleas? Vet bills are expensive-just like human doctor bills. And if you have several pets, you must be an animal lover-which means they are part of your family. I have a dog and 3 small parrots. Our birds are on organic pellets (Harrison's) with seeds for treats and our dog...
I've seen the Weleda Calendula Cream recommended for kids with eczema, but when I went to the health food store, all I could find was the calendula oil and the calendula diaper rash cream. Is this the cream everyone raves about? Is it used like a lotion? I didn't see a lotion when I there. So I bought the Burt's Bees Baby Bee sampler and WHEW!-the buttermilk lotion's smell is so strong. I don't think I can use it. I do love the Baby Bees soap and I like the apricot...
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question about natural cleaners and birds. We have 3 cockatiels and a Quaker parrot. I've long avoided Teflon, air fresheners, etc... I've pretty much switched to all natural cleaners, but I wanted to ask about EOs in a spray in a home with birds. Our birds have their own room (it's also an office) and when I clean, I usually shut their door. I clean mainly with a 50/50 vinegar and water spray, but my husband doesn't...
I'm switching to homemade cleaners and I'd like to try a few EOs. I bought my first one last night-peppermint. Right now I clean with 50/50 vinegar and water spray or a paste of baking soda with a squirt of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Liquid Soap. My husband doesn't like the smell of vinegar-I kinda do. But I was wondering if it'd work for me to put some EO in my vinegar/water spray. How much? Would the spray still be just as safe around my son and my pets? I like...