or Connect

Posts by momofcutie

Thanks everyone for understanding! I did apologize to him the next morning and we discussed what he can do to cope better in another situation like that. I told him that if he'd have said, "Mom, I don't want to play, " then I wouldn't have made him play. I also explained to him that the lady who made him switch teams didn't know he needed to be on his friend's team and that she wasn't doing it to make him mad. It's hard when our kids misunderstand social cues and...
I'm feeling guilty right now. Today we went to our homeschool group's Valentine party. There were about 80 people there--more than half of those were kids. When we got there, everything was really structured with half the kids doing crafts and half getting ready to play a game. The game was a relay with balloons with the kids being in teams of 8. My son, who has a mild autism spectrum disorder, doesn't like competitive games, but his friends were playing so he...
Love the pigtails buddhamom! You guys are truly blessed!
Buddhamom--Did you adopt privately then? Have you had any experiences of negativity from others for being caucasian and having an AA child? (I mean from people of color.) We're discussing adopting a biracial child, but we were actually warned about this bias (we live in the south) by a white SW. I hope that question isn't too personal...
Quote: Originally Posted by herbalmommy What is the likelihood that I would find a mother pregnant with a child who has Downs Syndrome that she would be putting up for adoption? Just a lingo suggestion. I have a friend who is the director of adoption services for an adoption agency and she is very big on saying "making an adoption plan" or "placing a child" rather than "giving up a baby" or "putting up a baby." I know most people say "putting...
I was just wondering this exact thing! I have bipolar disorder (diagnosed and stable on meds since 2002) and OCD and my husband has ADD and (treated) depression. Our son has a mild autism spectrum disorder. We looked into international adoption a couple years ago and found out that many countries will not allow you to adopt even for health problems (I also have Crohn's Disease.) Russia told us no... I was told Korea, at that time anyway, had WEIGHT restrictions for...
Thanks for clarifying that for me! I like being relaxed, but I do feel the need to have certain things that we do regularly--especially the "three Rs." I don't encounter too much resistence from my son about school because I've tried to go with methods that he enjoys--lots of reading aloud (by me), interest-based, short lessons, flexibility in schedule, etc... When he does resist school though, he resists reading practice, handwriting, and math. The three Rs! ...
A fellow homeschooler recently referred to us as unschoolers, and I don't consider us to be unschooling. I just consider us relaxed. But maybe I'm wrong! We probably only spend about 45 minutes to an hour a day doing "schoolish" stuff--mostly reading together about all kinds of topics with my son narrating sometimes, with a little handwriting and occasional math thrown in. Sometimes we do artwork or listen to music or learn some spanish vocabulary. We watch videos and...
Thanks for understanding and for sharing your experiences and advice. The weather (snow and ice) has made it so we have been inside more lately for the past few weeks. We usually like to get out and do something every day if we can-even if it's just going to the library or the grocery store. Often, the first thing my son says to me in the morning is, "What are we going to do for fun today, Mom?" I've asked him if he's interested in swimming classes or karate or...
I don't know if it's a winter thing or what, but all of a sudden, I'm feeling bored and lonely. We've been homeschooling since last summer and I felt fine until recently. I've noticed that other homeschoolers we know don't seem to need play dates and field trips as much as my son and I do. Is that because we are an only child family? Am I just experiencing first year burn out? I've been wondering if moms with more than one child just don't need outings as much as us...