or Connect

Posts by artemis33

I really like the suggestions already given.....   What about dark chocolate shredded coconut haystack "nests" or Gluten free playdough   Sorry I don't have specific recipes for you.
The overnight child care idea made me think....what about date night child care?  Have a few kids over on Friday and Sat nights for parents to get out for a few hours.  Make popcorn (inexpensive), watch movies, play games....  I know we would love to find someone who did that in our area!    
We have the same problem at our house, so I understand.  Even if I roast a chicken a week, we still rarely have as much stock around as I'd like.   My opinion is to just boil them.    The main reason I roast my chicken first is because that is how I like to eat the meat  (yuck to boiled meat!) but since you woudn't be trying to use meat from those it probably isn't worth the extra step.  Obviously different with beef bones as you mentioned.  I've made stock with a whole...
I shopped quite a bit over the past month while hosting multiple gatherings and house guests.  I'm eager to be back on track with very little spending on food and a focus on freezer/pantry meals.
I found 3 cans of expired organic pumpkin in the pantry.  Oops.  I decided I'd better just plan to use it up right away.  Yesterday I made some mini pumpkin cheesecakes with crust out of GF ginger snaps from the pantry and today I used the leftover crust mixture as a topping on some pumpkin muffins.  Yum!  Still have a can and a half.....Maybe add some to baked oatmeal for breakfast?  I bet that would be good.....   I made a ham yesterday and used some with our eggs this...
Does anyone take advantage of wild herbs/weeds growing in your yard and garden?  My salad greens patch is getting overrun with chickweed....and I know you can eat it and I nibble it here and there, but I'm not using it like I could.  Sandor Katz has a recipe for chickweed pesto in Wild Fermentation, but I am skeptical.... I nibble sheep sorrel and lamb's quarters.  I cook an occasional dandelion green and make dried nettle tea....but there are lots of other edible greens...
Ours is a stainless lined Bosch.  Very quiet and water efficient.  The racks do have a coating on them and there are a few other plastic parts inside.  I didn't see anything with all stainless everything at our price range, but they might make them in the higher end European models.  These are still a huge improvement over the plastic lined ones!
I know what you mean about perpetual pantry filling.....after all, being good at knowing the best stock up price on things does save money over time.  Butter is one of those things that we use so much of, if I see it at a great price and can afford to I will always stock up a bit and freeze it.   I was sick and busy last week and did a terrible job planning.  Produce got wasted.  I hate that.  I did make a large pot of bean soup with a meaty ham bone I found in the back...
That is great, thanks! I am still here and doing pretty well.  My goal has not been 'no spend' at this point, but to clear my freezer of all the old stuff to make room (and save money) for our pork, which comes tomorrow!  Today I pulled everything left out of that freezer and put most of it in a med sized cooler (and our inside freezer if very full).  There is still a lot to process - I'm making lard today and also blackberry jam.  Made a large batch of stock this week. ...
Pinto Beans...mmmm we love them, too.  I usually cook up a large batch with a ham hock, and then the first night we'll just have them in a bowl with cornbread and cooked greens on the side.   So simple but really satisfying.   After that I freeze pint jars of them to pull out for my girls, who love bean and cheese burritos or quesadillas.   Speaking of that, does anyone have a good reliable tortilla recipe?  I really, really want to stop buying them and we go through...