or Connect

Posts by Yoshua

Kids will use whatever they feel comfortable with. No reason to over analyze it at all.
I work in IT for a company of (well 2 months ago almost 300 people, now closer to 250) I am not THE most tech savy when it comes to routing, or packet transfer. I do mainly hardware and software work. That being said I also set up the wireless networks for our users homes when they request it. Out of probably 50 or so installations I have done over the years for these peoples home networks I would say MAYBE 10 of these people knew about security encryption and had...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty This is a really funny thread. So many views and analogies. OK, here is mine. I think an unsecured network is more like a file box of your personal information that you place in the neighbors yard. And so if they look through it, it is your own fault. They did not leave their property or have to do anything special to see it. Is it morally wrong for them to look through the stuff? Sure. But not...
Quote: Originally Posted by Epiphany I wanted to clarify something, because I think I'm starting to make Yoshua cranky and thats not my intention. We disagree and thats ok. I posted in this thread because I want people to be aware of this issue and the fact that wifi sharing isn't illegal. I don't even think its a bad thing. I personally don't think it is at all equatable to watching someone drop $100 and then waiting for them to walk away so I can...
Quote: Originally Posted by Epiphany Lets make sure to seperate using a connection to surf the internet with being connected to, or even being able to see, someone's network. They are two completely different things. Getting into someone's personal files is illegal. Surfing their wireless connection is not; and since many people leave them open on purpose, why shouldn't you surf it if it is available? The analogy of using someone's car, their book,...
Quote: Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo Well, if someone really wants to be malicious they can use a pocket knife and slit the screens in my street-level windows and just come right inside (and steal, or rape, or murder, or whatever). Doesn't mean I keep my windows closed on pretty days. Why would repairs cost me money? I have my OS disks, so if the computer crashed I would just reload the operating system. The important files are on my other...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan (BTW, I'm having fun with this, if you aren't let me know and I'll drop it.) Being on the porch does make it easier to peek in the blinds and gives you access at a minimum to their front window and you could wreck havoc if you were being juvenile or malicious. Oh, and minor point of clarification, our network checks the computer's MAC address and doesn't allow access if it doesn't recognize...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan Doesn't matter if you damaged something, the inside of people's homes contain things that they don't want every passerby to see. Whereas, you aren't seeing anything private if you sit on their porch swing. Thing is, the car analogy fails because if someone steals your car you don't get to keep driving your car. It doesn't maybe slow down a little, it's gone. Some one uses your internet connection, most of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster I'm not recomending it, I'd acyually be pretty annoyed if I came out and found a bunch of people sitting in the car when I was in a rush to get DS to his music class on time. It would certainly slow us down to have to wait for them to fold up their news papers, and clean up any mess. Plus they will have used gas running the heater. nice
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster Going back to the car analogy, just b/c I can't let a sleeping analogy lie... When someone uses an unsecured network it isn't like taking the car, they are just using it. It's more like: You leave your keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. When you come out to use your car you find people sitting in it, reading thier news papers, and running the heater to keep warm while they are waiting for the bus...