or Connect

Posts by Yoshua

Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan No, because going *into* their house *would* intrinsically hurt them. Where my analogy breaks down is that we can't choose to have a closed in porch with a locked door by taking 30 minutes to do some online research and change a few settings. No it wouldn't. Not unless you damaged something or someone. No damage done? Same analogy. However you could 'accidentally break something' Same as in...
Quote: Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ Yep, Vista. I guess I'll just be a silly person who doesn't know how to secure my connection. I have had really slow page loading for a while, too. To secure your connection you need to find your routers instruction manual. Most can be found online by going to the manufacturers website and looking up the model number. It will tell you how to log into the admin page. Once in the admin page you look...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan It's like walking onto a neighbor's porch and sitting on their swing. 90 times out of 100 you won't hurt a thing and it won't affect their lives in anyway. But it's possible for you to take up too much of the swing so they can't use it. Or bring so much stuff with you that the swing breaks and costs them money. Or, not anyone here, you might be a UAV and deliberately damage their porch. It's not intrinsically...
Quote: Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom Who said I was upset? Or that I was using their network? I laughed when I saw the name, is all. But I do think it is dumb not to secure your service and then be mad that the rest of the world isn't brilliantly ethical, kwim? I mean, I'm not really a tech person, but even I have manage to pick up somehow that if you get wireless, you should secure it for your own safety, not just to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Apricot My husband does tech stuff for the neighbors - including setting up their networks. We have everyone's passwords and they have ours. It's really nice to hop onto their network to figure out if it's our settings or if the cable's down (we share a provider). One of our neighbors had a completely unsecured machine - we could browse his folders and files and see his internet history. With that kind of access, it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo I knowingly share my wireless internet with two neighboring households, and can hop onto my across-the-street neighbor's network at will (though I use my own because, you know, why wouldn't I? It's a good fall-back for if mine goes down, though). I assumed sharing your wireless network with any other laptops who wandered into range was normal, lol. Sure, my connection varies in speed (probably related to how...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamatoablessing Without getting too technical, does anyone know how to check and see if others are using you unsecured network? : Most routers have an admin page. You need to find your admin page and login to it. If you need help finding the admin page there are instruction books online, search for your model of router. Most routers log who has logged in via PC name or IP address if your router is the item...
Quote: Originally Posted by Epiphany Actually, the keys in the car analogy isn't quite right. Using someone's unsecured internet connection is more akin to reading a book by their porch light. You're in your own yard, you're not stealing anything, you're just using the light that they left on for your own purposes. When you start equating it to keys in a car, or an unlocked door that someone walks into then you are talking about stealing. Using an...
The reason they would be mad is that they were not computer literate enough to know that their network WAS unsecured. They then noticed their bandwidth going down and lagging during certain periods of the day. Then after weeks of frustration yelling at tech support for their internet company about their lousy service they finally got a tech out to look at their network. Tech sees the unsecured status and says 'dude, your neighbor is on your network right now' and...
Going to a movie is a great start. But be ready for these times to last the next 3 to 5 years. I butted heads with my step dad until I was out of the house paying my own bills and realizing what it meant to be a 'grown up' and how lucky I was that there WAS someone there to help my mom out. That being said, remember we are on the other side of the screen and it is MUCH easier for us to give advice to someone on the other side of the screen than to be able to live...