or Connect

Posts by zeldamomma

Quote: Originally Posted by Iucounu https://health.google.com/health/ref...ntity+disorder http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001527.htm There's nothing here to indicate that being transgendered is disabling. It doesn't make a person unable to care for themselves or unable to hold a job. Whether or not being transgendered is something that ought to be "fixed" by the medical community is entirely separate from the question of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Iucounu I would accept himas a person with a sad, disabling disorder, and my son. I guess it's obvious, isn't it, that we don't share the same views? I certainly don't see being a transgendered person, which is really a terrible disorder that often results in self-mutilation, as normal; you do. This is just one example of how we can't possibly see eye to eye. In your relativist view, everything is normal (which robs...
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mama I agree. I don't feel demeaned by my job. I think that it is more harmful to women to perpetuate the idea that staying at home to hs or just raise children is some horrible inferior thing to do. I don't feel demeaned either, but I don't want my daughters to feel like they need marry and have kids to have a fulfilling life. I want them to have options, and I want them to know they can support themselves...
My middle child explained to me gently when she was 6 that when she grows up, her kids are going to go to daycare, because she's going to have a job. My girls seem to be well aware that mothers often work, and I encourage them to be planning for a career. I would be happy if any of my kids decided to be a SAH homeschooling parent when they grow up, but if that doesn't work out, I hope they are able to support themselves either doing work that is meaningful to them, or...
I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a boy pink boots, but I probably wouldn't rush to do it because if I buy boots, I want them to be worn, and I would expect that there would be some reactions to a boy in pink boots (nothing harsh, but questions to me in his earshot about why he's wearing them) and that might lead him to not want to wear the boots. I'm glad the OP's son isn't getting any flack about his choice. My son likes pink, and he plays with pink...
Some of them are a little scary, but we enjoy Andrew Lang's fairy books (The Blue Fairy book, The Red Fairy Book, The Orange Fairy Book, ...)-- they have a wide range of stories, and are generally available online for free. They are old books, definitely not over-simplified, Disney, or modernized.
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyHippyMama 1) no, it's watercolors -- i am NOT brave enough for tempera paints!! but it still requires significant set-up and clean-up when there are 4 of them painting, and the 2yo cannot be left alone with it because he will paint everything (including his siblings' papers) and mix all the colors together so i have to waste a bunch of paint by rinsing the palettes...clean up is time-consuming, even if it's just with...
I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I have few suggestions that might help: 1) It sounds like your kids are using tempra paint-- have you considered getting water colors? They're a lot less messy. 2) Instead of focusing on "strewing", could you switch to offering activities that they tend to like? It would let you offer a little structure to the day, so they get to do the things they like at times that work for you. 3) You have a very full plate right now. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Plarka DD1 is moving into a big bed as soon as we can decide what mattress to buy. Do you: A. Buy the best mattress you can afford, like firm or pocket sprung, something really nice. OR B. Buy the cheapest sprung mattress there is because a 3 -12 (or however long it lasts) year old doesn't need such an expensive one and you'd be wasting your money? I don't think I'd get a high-end mattress for a 3 y.o....
Quote: Originally Posted by koru Yikes! My US History teachin' husband has seen it & almost showed it to my 7, 5 & 3 year olds today. I'm hoping he was just being forgetful! I can't imagine those scenes even being appropriate for high schoolers. The way they were presented would be ok for most middle schoolers in my opinion. I haven't watched the entire series, but there wasn't gore in the stuff I saw, just an acknowledgment that sometimes...