or Connect

Posts by zeldamomma

Do you have caller ID? If so, I think I might be less available for her to talk to for a while, and maybe she'll find someone else to "help".
I think what you're talking about doing is commonly called "delayed academics" and is a very old idea in the homeschooling community. Both Charlotte Mason and the Moores were proponents of delaying formal academics until a child was 7 or even older. I wouldn't call it unschooling, because unschooling is a philosophy that children will learn what they need to know when they are ready, and doesn't end at age 6. Actually many people would argue that "unschooling" before...
I'm sorry you and your daughter had such a bad experience. I am surprised that the school wasn't more helpful with the transition. It seems like that would have been part of their job once she was enrolled, especially if she was struggling. Certainly there are kids who transfer in and are behind sometimes-- they don't force those kids to move back to old school right? There should have been some kind of intervention or pullout available to help her get up to speed, IMO.
From what I've read, your dd is looking for more learning in her day, but you don't want to provide anything that you'd consider academics until she is more than 2 years older than she is right now, is that right? Very gently, the unschooling approach does not tell kids they must or must not learn things based on their age. FWIW, most of what I suggested were games-- I know they aren't wooden, but they aren't worksheets or "teaching", and even the science kits...
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "schooly" but at that age, my girls enjoyed the Young Scientist kits, Monopoly Jr., Cranium Hullaballoo, and library storytimes.
The tooth fairy gives $1 per tooth here. Generally, I tell my kids that they may not ask someone for a specific gift unless they are asked for ideas, and I think that's what I'd say if my kid started making requests like that from the tooth fairy.
I'd file if it were legally required. I'm guessing that most people who homeschool without filing never get caught, but knowing that we were doing something illegal would terrify me. We would do far less out of the house during the school day in that situation. If you are concerned about the future direction of the homeschool laws in your state, get involved in your statewide homeschool association.
I tend to answer these kinds of questions with "Huh. That's a good question! What do you think?" and then we talk about the possibilities.
Do you mean the British Library's Virtual Books? http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/virtualbooks/index.html Or the Library of Congress's Digital Collection? http://www.loc.gov/library/libarch-digital.html Both could keep you busy for a long time. The Library of Congress has a page for teachers here: http://www.loc.gov/teachers/
Have you had her eyes checked? I would get her checked out by a developmental opthmalogist to make sure that there isn't something about her vision that makes reading extra challenging. It may be that she just isn't ready, but it sounds like you're both frustrated enough by this to put some energy into investigating possible explanations.