or Connect

Posts by zeldamomma

Would he like comic books or graphic novels? Because of the graphics, they can have pretty complex stories for their reading level.
Quote: Originally Posted by SagMom I wouldn't have gone if the kids weren't welcome. If I thought the organizers were open to suggestion, I'd bring up the idea of making the conference more kid-friendly, but I'd probably be more likely to just find another conference to go to. When we went to the NE Unschooling conference, children were welcome everywhere. There were activities geared towards the kids but they were also able to accompany parents to all...
Quote: Originally Posted by That Is Nice What??? Professional educators said this, or parents? Yikes. Either way, yikes. I can't imagine a qualified teacher worth their salt ever saying this and justifying this. And as a parent, I just can't imagine giving this message to my kids or other children. It was an adult speaking in his professional capacity. I don't know his background. This kind of message, along with commiserating...
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelBee WHat do you think? Would you go? Would you say anything to the organizers? If this is the MHA conference, I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with the organizers. I know some of them personally, and they are certainly child-friendly people. There are certainly good reasons for the rules they've come up with. If you want there to be some family focused activities, maybe you could offer to...
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelBee Also...they do have a group for "teens" 12 and up. The age cut off bothers me. Dom is 8 and would fit right in guarenteed. But because he is "8" he is not welcome. I don't know....seems so label-y to me. First of all, the teen years are a special time in life, and I think it's entirely reasonable to allow them some time away from the little kids that tend to dominate homeschooling. Ummm... is this...
Quote: Originally Posted by deeporgarten Even our schools tend to convey the idea that learning is a chore to be done to the minimal degree needed, and rarely enjoyed. We homeschool, but we attend a fair number of performances for school groups. More than once, an adult has gotten up in front of the kids and said something like "we all know it's not fun to learn, but we just need to spend a few minutes talking about X" These are LARGE...
Could she be excused from math at school, and you could just take care of it at home? I'm a homeschooler and I haven't done the whole school-thing, so if it's an absurd idea, I apologize. There are a million curricula out there, some would require very little from you. ZM
http://nataliesnexus.blogspot.com/20...t-year-of.html Here's the beginning... I Will Survive (the first year of homeschooling) Originally written and produced by Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris Originally performed by Gloria Gaynor Mercilessly altered with apologies by Natalie Criss First I was afraid I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never teach ’Cause I’m not certified. But we spent so many nights Reteaching homework that was wrong. I grew...
I think that's where we are. We look like unschoolers, but I have goals for my kids that don't really mesh with US. But we like what we're doing. : ZM
Dh and I thought we were going to wait to tell our kids when we were expecting #3, but we wanted to talk about it in front of them, and so we told them. In retrospect, if we had miscarried, I don't think it would have been awful for them to know why we were sad. We're a family, I can't see keeping that kind of thing secret, you just explain as simply as possible. There are a lot of great books about fetal development. I'm sure you can find something that will let...