or Connect

Posts by macca

I try and make a joke of it. I wish I could be more like DD and proudly announce it to the world without a trace of embarrassment... come to think of it, DH is like that too!!
Quote: Originally Posted by lifeguard I think the issue for some women is that they don't shave themselves so seeing their daughters doing it is difficult. I know for my Mom she doesn't shave her legs & she really disagreed with my desire to do so. Some people really do feel that the shaving that women do is more for sexual attraction then for hygiene or grooming. It's true that hygiene doesn't really play a part, but then, there's no reason...
Quote: Originally Posted by RunnerDuck If a teenage boy were developing facial hair, there'd be no questions about letting him shave. He'd start to shave when there was hair there, not when he reached a certain age or when his peers were doing it. This is what always baffles me about the female-shaving issue. When women shave, according to more hardcore feminists, we're just deferring to men and being oppressed tools of the patriachy and need...
Quote: Originally Posted by nummies My mom agreed to let me shave whenever I wanted to. I was a gymnast and in leotards a lot. I needed to shave. I can't imagine forcing your 12 year old daughter to endure name-calling and forbiding her to shave to build character. :
Disliking fast food and being anti-McDonalds etc. Unfortunately I can't get enough of the stuff :
I like nicknames, I think they sound relaxed and friendly. My son is Angus and I think it's adorable when people call him Gus. Both kids have about a million nicknames, though!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering This is semantics, but I just want to add: my parents called it 'board', not 'rent'. It sort of makes a difference. To me, 'rent' sounds pretty detached, landlord-tenanty,money-making and cold; whereas 'board' just sounds like 'contributing to the household'. Different vibe. We called it board as well, actually I've never heard it called rent. Just a cultural difference, from what I can see - it means...
It depends. If they are planning to move out and saving towards that - and if we are financially comfortable - then no. But if their long term plan is to live at home, then yes. Either way, if we're struggling financially, then there's no reason that working adults in the home shouldn't contribute. It's not going to be "pay rent or you're on the street!" ... I would hope that my adult children would have enough sense of responsibility to WANT to contribute.
Quote: Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom I am a SAHM on principal. But there are definately financial benefits to me being at home. People think we must be "rich" to "afford" it. The truth is, having me working would be a much greater financial struggle, not to mention much more stressful for all of us. I'd essentially be working just to put my kids in daycare. What would be the point? I know, I really don't get that line of thinking at...
Quote: Originally Posted by ~Megan~ Who else is staying at home because it makes good financial sense? I do work part time, but factoring in other costs and reduced benefit payments, we're not much better off financially. My DH does shift work, so we don't need daycare, but if we did, we would be absolutely no better off - if anything, we'd probably have less money overall. If anything, I feel like my situation is the worst for mummy-guilt!...