or Connect

Posts by macca

: I thought even mainstream sources advised against punishments/scoldings as a potty training technique. I've never heard of this sort of thing. Wow.
Quote: Originally Posted by LotusBirthMama So, how do you do it if its not cheerfully? Do you hold her down? A few times, I've had to restrain DD, with her head in my lap and brush them while she screams I don't like it any more than she does, but what's the alternative? As I said before, rewarding/bribery or making something "fun" just doesn't work for my daughter if she's totally against doing something.
Quote: Originally Posted by rmzbm There are no consequences or punishments here for refusing to brush. Because if they refuse they get gently restrained and have mama brush for them. I guess THAT would be the consequence. If my daughter's consent was a requirement for having her teeth brushed, they'd probably have rotted away by now! Rewarding/bribery doesn't work for DD. If she doesn't want to do something, she just won't, regardless of...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama omg seriously? Yes there are a zillion ways to deal with anything. Denying a birthday party for leaving home and refusing to come back, twice, is not the end of the world, and it is not necessarily un-GD. Let's not do the 'omgz is this babycentre????' coz really. GD is not CL. GD can include parent imposed consequences. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with parent-imposed consequences, but to me,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Britishmum ITA. One thing I cannot abide is dressing up a punishment as a 'consequence' to make it sound OK. Ugh. I personally think that not allowing a child to go to such a big thing as a birthday party is way, way over the top, especially for a 6 yo. It makes me wonder how tough your punishments have to get if you come out guns blazing at this age. I'm also surprised to see how many people say that they'd do the...
Quote: Originally Posted by rabbitmum I think stopping him from going to his friend's birthday party was an extremely harsh punishment. To call it a "consequence" doesn't change anything. The parents understood that this birthday party was a thing that they could really hurt him by taking from him. I completely agree
Quote: Originally Posted by MilkTrance Wow. Smacking a hand isn't the same as burning them with a cigarette. I'm anti-smacking but that post is really insulting. I don't think the poster was actually comparing the two. I think the point was that many parenting techniques can have a desired effect, but it doesn't make them right. CIO is pretty effective from what I've heard as well
1. How long have you been nursing for? almost three years - since my daughter was born 2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? never did - I got pregnant with my son when she was just over a year old. He's 15 months and I still haven't had a period. 3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? n/a 4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping...
Quote: Originally Posted by readytobedone i would just like to point out that, for moms who plan to WOH at any point during their child's first year, taking a bottle might be very useful if not necessary. i had to be away from DD for a few hours at a time, a couple times a week, starting at 3.5 months and we worked very hard from 2 weeks on to get me pumping regularly and her taking a bottle. it took several different bottle nipples, and a lot of...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama So... are you arguing that bottlefeeding is necessary or older children will be traumatized? For real? Yeah... I'm very surprised to read such comments on MDC. My son has never taken a bottle and DD coped just fine ... it wasn't even something I considered.