or Connect

Posts by Yulia_R

Quote: Originally Posted by Dichotomy Our first baby is due in December, and we're planning on going with Dr. Sears' delayed schedule for vaccinating. I'll be home with baby for the first 12 weeks, and then likely returning to work 2-3 days a week at that time. (though I dont want to, but thats not an option). DP's mom will probably be watching the baby 1-2 days a week...but I'll eventually have to face the idea of putting her in daycare once Im back...
Quote: Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama When it came down to talking to DC about who to look for for help (we talked mostly about getting separated in public) I said she should look for a parent or someone who looked like a mom. I felt like that was a good compromise - I used the sex-neutral term parent but also added the idea of looking for a mom. good idea, thanks!!
As for the advice, I think that parents need to put that as one of the expectations (it is amazing just how kids try to fit our expectations. If the parents truly in their heart believe that he will keep pooping in his pants, then he really will. But if the parents trully decide (and I mean really believe in it) that he is old enough and will start pooping on the potty, then he really will. So first and farmost if this very expectation. Next is motivation. So using the...
Wow, this is probably the only case when I would absolutely not hold back on my emotions. I mean really, this is just plain disgusting. We did EC, so both of my kids were out of diapers by 18 months. They both know how I feel about poop of older kids (older being beyond infancy), they know that this is a huge problem for me (it liturally makes me gag and there is no way I would ever change a poopy diaper/pants of a child who is in the age of eating solids (both of my kids...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom My 12 year old found out this is not true today. She was walking to her friend's house and an elderly man was stooped over, asked her to go in his house can call 911. She whipped out her cell phone and called 911. He was having a heart attack I am glad I taught her to think, trust her guts, and always ask us first before helping anyone. So she didn't ask us first, but she thought (more important) and knew...
First of all, thank you OP for this thread, very interesting discussion. Quote: Originally Posted by traceface yes, I think the main thing is teaching that if an adult ever asks you for help, to walk away from them and tell a trusted adult. Adults do not ask children for help! I have a problem with this because in reality, in traditional societies (the way we wired) this should not be the case. The kids should not be made feel like they are...
And adding to previously said, it is not surprising that both our kids have no problem having "naked parties" with their neighbor friend outside on a refular basis (when it is warm outside). Our daughter always goes the "extra mile" to the point of sometimes making me and dh uncomfortable (which takes a LOT to do LOL), but we just ignore it and say nothing because guess what...this is OUR problem, this is how we were, unfortunately, brought up and the power of it is huge:...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mackenzie I think it is just about respecting their level of comfort... My kids are comfortable with their bodies and know that "a body is just a body and everyone has one". However, they all desire different levels of privacy. I too have no issue walking around my house naked and my kids don't bat an eye, however the only one that is comfortable doing that himself is DS2 (this is also the kid who used to stand in the picture...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mulvah You may not feel weird knowing, but my issue is with how my DS would feel knowing I chatted about his penis. It is his penis to chat about. I guess if my son were concern about me talking about his penis (which I rarely do anyway) I'd respect that and I wouldn't. But I would also be seriously worried as to why he feels that talking about having all of this genitals is any different or more...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mulvah I'm really not sure how one can keep their own children out of it. In any and every discussion we have had about it, I'm always asked. I refuse to "plead the fifth" or be coy in any way. Interesting. When I talk I talk about the facts and interestingly enough anyone rarely ask if we circ our son or not, maybe because it is very obvious to them that we wouldn't or perhaps they personally feel uncomfortable...