or Connect

Posts by devoted2kids

Regardless of what HIPPA will or will not allow, if we are, as a society, so sensitive to the subject of breastfeeding that the subject can't be discussed in a roomful of new mothers, it will be nearly impossible to make breastfeeding a natural and publicly accepted practice.
Would HIPPA cover the voluntary disclosure of personal information (whether or not the women were breastfeeding)? It's not like the LC was opening everyone's file for public viewing. I applaud her efforts. I can easily see how that could get mothers in the waiting room to discuss their experiences with their peers. Bravo! We need more of that.
Are you sure it was the hospitals that were pushing for a law banning free formula samples? If that were the case, all they would have to do is refuse to participate in the formula marketing scheme. I thought that was part of the problem.... the hospitals wouldn't ban the free "gift bags" because the formula manufacturers compensated the hospitals for pushing formula on new mothers. For more information about this issue, see this webpage:...
It's time that the nurses who hand over the free gift bags to new mothers in the hospitals stand up and refuse to be part of the formula marketing scheme. The hospital administrators obviously won't be doing what's best for the health of the infants in their care. The government has dropped the ball. Doctors haven't put a stop to the practice (even though the American Academy of Pediatrics has pledged to do so as a member organization of the United States Breastfeeding...
Two little bits of advice: 1. Look forward, not behind. 2. When choosing between formula feeding and breastfeeding, do what is best for the baby.
I think it would be great if the decision were based strictly on what would be best for the infant. My main concern is for very young first time mothers who have little support from their family or the father of the child. Those babies often are early with low birth weight. They are the children who would most benefit from bf. The young mothers are usually completely overwhelmed with the situation and could use all the good advice available. So what happens? As soon as...
In addition to the product claims on the websites of formula manufacturers about how superior formula is to bm, consider also that medical professionals (nurses) in hospitals give free formula to new parents. That's quite a bit of marketing power that we have to overcome if we expect to convince more mothers to bf. Have you seen the new labels on containers of formula produced by Mead Johnson (Enfamil)? Nice shiny gold. Now what mother (who doesn't know any better)...
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you wondering specifically about free formula samples in the "gift bags" given to new mothers in the hospital by the nurses? Or are you asking which formula the AAP recommends in general (ready to feed vs. powdered)?
WIC state agencies are not allowed to deviate from the federal guidelines without specific permission to do so. It is a federally funded program, therefore the states are required to follow the guidelines which are created according to legislation written and approved by Congress. The WIC program doesn't exist for the sole purpose of helping dairy farmers, but the dairy industry does lobby members of Congress to push for the inclusion of dairy products (including milk...
Part of WIC's mandate is to support and promote breastfeeding. However, WIC has not been provided with the funds needed to adequately provide this service in their program. If you feel strongly that more should be done by WIC to urge low income mothers to breastfeed, you need to contact your U.S. Senator or Congressperson. They will not provide the funds unless they are urged by YOU to do so. Also, the people working at the local WIC offices can talk all day about...