or Connect

Posts by Baudelaire

HATE Disney. As someone with a love of good folklore and a belief that the gritty fairy tales with NO SINGING ANIMALS perform valuable psychological work a child needs in order to face reality in a "safe" way, I despise -- absolutely *despise* that f%^%^g mouse. We have two Disney movies - Toy Story 2 and Fantasia. I don't object to Fantasia because of the classical music AND because it's the least commercial of all the Disney movies. However, I completely agree...
Listen, it's all about short-term versus long-term goals. If you let your kid be immersed in the Culture of Five Minutes Ago just so she'll be popular, what is the long-term benefit of that? What's the benefit of her wearing hootchie wear, as you put it (I refer to it as looking like a "Kinderwhore," but that's just me...) except sexual harrassment, cheapening your daughter, and possibly rape or teen pregnancy? What's to be gained in the long run? Anna Reilly, you...
Hey, LunaMom and others.... I hope, like I think I said in my earlier post, that I'm wrong about that love-one-kid-more phenomenon...I really DO hope for tons of people's sakes that they love both children equally (or at least equitably). Yeah, it's hard for me to say because I only have the one...but without rehashing old family garbage, I strongly believe that between my brother and me, my brother was the more preferred of us, so certainly this affects my belief...
Lunamom, you and I must work in the same place...I hear a LOT about "When are you going to give Miss Thang a brother or sister?" First of all, as the "recipient" of one such "gift," it's NOT a gift. People are not gifts (though they can be blessings!). From everything I've heard, sibling happiness is as easy to predict as roulette in Vegas: you pay your money and you take your chances. The other thing to think about for us is this: we love our little girl like crazy. ...
I have a grimmer theory about why 90% (and more) car seats are INCORRECTLY installed. Think about it: if you get in a car accident and the car seat fails to protect your child and your child is injured or fatally wounded, this would naturally pose a big, fat lawsuit risk, right? Millions of dollars from the sympathy vote a jury would give to a grieving parent of a dead kid, riiiiight? Wrong. You'd get shit if you hadn't followed their directions and installed the...
Not to make this a self-serving sob story, but I think one is a GREAAAAAT idea. I don't have any dramatic story like the above poster with the embezzling sib, but just the boring usual: my parents loved me, but they love my brother more. Just recently, my brother, who owns his own house and who owns two cars, was given a used SUV by my parents, who also gave him an elegant collection of silver. I could give a sh** about the money either or both of those gifts...
My dd (27 mo) was starting this whining kick -- even when she asked "please," it came out in a whiny tone of voice, which I confess I really, REALLY dislike --a friend's dd is a major whiner and I think I was scarred for life when she visited. Anyway, when our dd would start to whine for something or demand (e.g., "UP, Mommy, UP, UP, PLEASE, UP!!!") I'd get down to her eye level, look her in the eye, and say, "We're going to rewind and try that again. Let me hear...
The library will probably have a series of kids' videos called "Say, Sing, and Sign." VERY simple format -- they sign nursery rhymes and other stuff. If you're anti-TV, you'll probably like these videos because the format is simple and uncluttered -- no bells, no whistles, just a preschool-looking teacher signing to nursery rhymes. My DD LOVED these tapes and learned a *ton* of signs from them. Hope this helps.
Hate to say this, but you know the answer: sell your house and downsize. If your house is costing you 75% of your income, you have too much house for your income and you have bought something you cannot afford. Sorry, but it's true. I'm no financial whiz here, but the general rule of thumb is that housing shouldn't exceed 33% of your income, unless I am mistaken. So, what other expenses do you have? A second car? You may think you need it, but you probably...
I think many people are correct to challenge causality here between closely spaced sibs and psychpathy -- it's like saying because you are using chocolate, you are making cake. There is no contesting the fact that chocolate is sometimes an ingredient in cake, but it's an ingredient in lots of other things too. I think the 'recipe' for psychopathy has far more ingredients than only one. Finally, if you can find serial killers or psychopaths who are only children, that...