or Connect

Posts by KA29

I'll give something I think should be an absolute: Everyone should find ways to teach their kids that do not involve hitting them. I don't judge many areas of parenting but that one, I do.
Can you all just get a hotel? If the sleeping arrangements don't work really well that is what I would suggest. Honestly, I tend to prefer that anyway. I like my space. lol.
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy68 It could have been a stepmom. I guess what would worry me is she could have been a lot things...and in 99.9 percent of them, he would be safe (although I suppose with a caregiver like that 'safe' in a relative term. ) but I would just worry about that (admittedly) small chance something more sinister was going on. I guess for me it would come down to my gut instinct at the time. With the store security, is...
We usually sit out the first few days of anything so I can assess what exactly is going on. The tail end of a mild cold though I don't really worry about...for us going out or others coming over. If we are going somewhere where I know there is someone with a more fragile immune system, I would call and ask though.
Wow. I am glad you intervened too. Honestly, I probably would have called the cops. Especially after the little boy said he wanted his mommy. Likely she was his babysitter but I guess in that situation, I would worry maybe she had kidnapped him. I know that is probably paranoid of me but when I read your post that was the first thing I thought -- out of control adult and child crying for his mom. Scary. I hope that little guy was able to tell his mom what happened and that...
My kids both transitioned to one nap around that age. When they did it, they seemed to want to push the nap slightly later and then slightly later etc. So I would try putting him down at 11 vs 1030 and seeing how that works and then evaluating from there.
I don't see a huge deal but I would say without knowing the background, I wouldn't be bothered by what she said either. She may have a reason why she felt the need to enforce that boundary. My experience is that around that age, kids start to want more privacy so she may have been trying to be sensitive to the needs of the kids too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla I would never tell a child an outright lie. I might not give the child ALL details, but I would never tell a mistruth. In the dryer example, I might simply say "the pet died" and not give any more details. I agree with that. I try and always tell the truth as I know it but I try and give it in an age appropriate way. My dd was 3 when her great grandfather died and we just said that he got very, very sick and...
I don't know that anyone wants to be intolerant but I do think that the whole thing raises issue about the safety of minor children living in the household. I definitely think that bears investigating. It's not as if they met not knowing they were related and there does appear to be some question as to how involved the dad was with his dd when she was a child. I think that does raise legitimate questions about whether he would be inappropriate with other minors in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama However, none of this explains to me how a parent could become sexually involved with someone he knows to be his biological child. I mean, if something horrible happened to cause me to lose a son at birth, and we were reunited some 20-30 years later, and my son had grown into an attractive man who even expressed sexual feelings for me -- there would be absolutely no way that I could embark on a sexual relationship...