or Connect

Posts by amsvensk

Thanks. I sent an e-mail and got the automated reply back to join the group so I will check it out now. If it doesn't work then I will try your link.
Actually, I just tried to check this out but the group page comes up as an error. Just so you know.
Thanks! I just started browsing the homeschooling threads as I am getting ready to homeschool my soon-5yo in American kindergarten (they start school at 6 here). I will check this out!
maybe a bit boring...but "svensk" means "swedish" in swedish so either you can think ""I am Swedish or that "am" is for "American" which I am, so I guess it is really American-Swedish--which is what I feel like after 11+ years here...
I love this! I am such a name lover that it makes me want to have more kids. We also had to think two languages, Swedish and English. We tended to stick to Swedish as Americans in general can handle unusual pronunciations better than Swedes! My boys are Nils Gustaf (we just loved the name Nils and Gustaf is the middle name of ALL men in my Swedish dh's family) and August Edward (we skipped that "ALL men" for #2 to give him my father's middle name) I have loved...
I also read about a/the ultrasound study in the Swedish newspapers here and realized then the probable cause of my first son's lefthandedness!! Because of a miscarriage in the 12th week with my first pregnancy I agreed to be part of a university study about the effects of caffiene and more on pregnancy. Mostly this involved hair samples, cord-blood samples, and questionnaires on diet and health history. No big deal. But it also involved two extra ultrasounds. I didn't...
I think I got through all the replies and I did not see breast pads mentioned. I bought a small supply of all-cotton and all-wool nursing pads and loved them, especially the wool ones which were soft, absorbent and I could wash them by hand in the sink with a little olive oil soap. The wool ones were quite large as well which was supposed to keep my breasts warm adn help prevent "back-up." I can't see why anyone would want to put a piece of paper in their bra...
How sad for this little boy. Of course he can be "taught" empathy! I worked with young children for many years and firmly believe that ALL children can be shown how to express feelings and how to react appropriately, but some need more help than others. One thing I reacted to was when you said that the boy's mother said he had to go home and was packing him up to leave when YOU had to take your dd over to talk with him. She should have stopped him, pointed out how your...
I have been thinking more about this and think it is interesting that the need for a label can be so strong sometimes...or maybe it is really the need to understand how others are interpreting that label. I like what madison wrote about AP being treating your child with respect--isn't that the bottom line really?? It's a bit funny TripkeHughes that you say you cannot lable yourself an AP mom when I would probably have done so for you. But I can understand your desire...
I just had to add a note that Serena is right about strollers and bottles and such not being evil in and of themselves. I worked part-time (25%) when my second ds was three months old mainly due to the fact that my husband was desperate to be a SAHD! I pumped and he had to use a bottle of course, which felt foreign to us at first as our first ds never ever used a bottle. But, we felt the trade-off was worth it--our son still had a parent with him and my dh could parent...