or Connect

Posts by bananahands

Many thanks for all the lovely replies. So much to move forward with. I appreciate all the book suggestions and the thoughts about rituals. Perhaps it's time to shed some of the hangups and open my mind a little more. The meditation center in NY sounds intriguing, though sadly it's not anywhere near my neck of the woods. I have found a small place a stone's throw away; I think it's time to stop reading their schedule and just go already.   Looking forward to reading...
I'm so drawn to Buddhism, but I find it very overwhelming. And I find myself alternating between the attraction of it and much that instead turns me off. Like with meditation ... I've been trying breath meditation and mindfulness meditation at home, and enjoy this very much. For my first attempt at a formal class, though, there was a lot of chanting and a laughing part that just did not work for me. I also think my Catholic upbringing has ruined me forever as far as...
I truly love the idea of homeschooling. I'm in heaven when I'm lying in bed at night reading books about it and others' success stories and thinking of the things we could do ... of course the kids are all sound asleep at that point and not bringing any reality into my fantasies. Then they wake up and the chaos starts and I feel like I do not have the skills or commitment to do it properly. So I send the two older kids off to their public school (full-day Kindergarten) and...
I always end up doing some major painting project right before the holidays, and it drives my husband crazy. The prospect of houseguests provides just the right incentive for me to get moving on things I've neglected the rest of the year. My husband just thinks it adds to the chaos. It does, of course, but in the end I'm happy I did it!
Yes, there are fees, but they vary by state and the type of mortgage you have. There is an assessment (appraisal), that's done by the bank and included in the fees you'll pay. We've been looking at refinancing, but the problem for us is that our house value has gone down so much that we may no longer hold 20% equity, which means we would suddenly be required to also purchase PMI. So in the end, a lower rate would not translate to monthly savings because we're not planning...
Wow, thanks. I appreciate all the ideas. Can I ask a follow-up now? In my reading and researching I've come across countless references to the various traditions behind certain meditation styles, but I haven't found a good summary that has helped me understand how they relate/differ (or how they would influence the meditation itself). I'm not sure it matters at this stage, but I'd like to learn more. Any suggestions? Thanks, again!
I'm interested in starting a formal meditation practice, and though I know I can do this on my own at home, I feel like I would be better off with a teacher right now. But all the classes seem prohibitively expensive, in the $25 dollar range. That's do-able on occasion, but nothing I could indulge in once or twice a week. Any suggestions?
Individually, I'm able to work with my kids in the ways that I want, and I think they understand our house approach. But when they are together (ages 5, 5, and 3) the climate deteriorates very quickly because their primary objective seems to be making the others laugh, using whatever means necessary. I'm at a loss with how to respond to this. I've tried separating them until the mood passes, but that just encourages them to continue the banter at a volume loud enough where...
Will they get much use or are they more for backup? I gave my company-paid phone up when I resigned my job recently, and wanted to go without, but my husband really wanted me to have one just in case. I ended up going with an AT&T pay-as-you-go, buying the cheapest phone they had (I think it was $29). It's $1 a day for the first call you make, plus $0.10 per minute. I put $25 on it when I bought it, and they threw in an additional $30 in minutes. They require that you add...
How would you implement this approach when there are multiple children? I have one great cleaner and two not-so-much (though, in fairness, one is younger and I think just doesn't get it yet).