or Connect

Posts by sozobe

First, malamamama, congratulations!! That is just wonderful. Second, yes, I am disgusted that smilemomma has been fired. I came to the boards because of the nightnursing and cavities issue sept. (?) 2002, but stayed because of smilemomma. She has had more influence on my life than any other person I've known only through cyberspace (and I know a few hundred, at least), and that influence has been incredibly positive. I only have a few seconds right now so cannot...
I definitely noticed a difference since dd weaned recently. I had gotten down below pre-pregnancy weight without paying much attention to it, then she started to wean and whoa there came the pounds. Starting to exercise more to make up for things, not too concerned. But definitely another benefit to breastfeeding! (In my case, anyway.)
Hee hee nancg...! I think one thing about weaning is you don't need to have it be all or nothing. It doesn't have to be "this is the last time..." I can't imagine that going well. I've found that don't ask/ don't refuse can be nudged a bit, especially with lots of activities. With my dd, I never outright refused, ever, but when it started to really wear on me I got more active, tried distraction more often, etc. If it didn't work, fine, we nursed. But the thing...
Wow, Smilemomma, I didn't realize our kidlets were so close in age. I guess it was because of all of the reading of the archives that I did, where they were referred to as tiny (and my dd was ~20 months old). 2000 WAS a good year. We've got those magnificent dragon babies, the lot of us. Smilemomma, I swear you should get some kind of humanitarian award for your work here. Fantastic!
Thanks! The way I understand the fluoride vs. gunk thing is as follows -- Smilemomma or someone else who knows for sure can confirm or correct: The brown gunk on dd's teeth was gunk, removable only with dental tools. They were saying that I couldn't expect to remove it with toothbrushing. The light tan remineralization that came up earlier and Smilemomma assured me was normal did not change color... it's still light tan. So what I take from that is the...
Hi all, I posted something on rebx's thread about worrisome brown spots... hied dd to the dentist, and turned out it was just gunk that they cleaned off. They said that because of the irregular surfaces left by the whole Seven Cavity Incident (i.e. not just the cavities themselves but various problems caused by all that tooth-eating bacteria), no amount of brushing can get it all. They said it was important to get it off, though, as it's a prime breeding ground, so I...
Why thanks! Meanwhile, I'm having a new round of heart attacks... ack. I'm currently searching the archives for "fluorosis." I mentioned before that dd has some little tan/brown spots that worried me in terms of decay, but turned out to be fine. She's now getting a very light tan staining around the gumline. I have been using a smear of fluoride toothpaste in the morning and evening. We have been teaching her to swish and spit, she's OK with it, but great...
The toothbrushing song is from "Babybug" magazine. I had the last line wrong -- should be "to KEEP them clean and white." Seems like things are looking up already -- hooray indeed!
Yep, was going to say that laughing is a really good way to get their mouths open. And I second malamamama's applause -- really great that you're making such an effort. It's important. I think my dd was just a little bit older when we started using this song: We brush brush brush our teeth We brush them left to right We brush them up and down To get them clean and white! At some point, ya just gotta do it. A frequent analogy here, frequent because it's a...
Yep, seconding the suppositories. My dd gets barfy when she's feverish, so even when we managed to get the liquid form down her, she would promptly barf it back up. Suppositories stayed in, and worked. She was sick last week, and I gave her the choice between butt medicine and mouth medicine. She decided mouth medicine, and took it just fine, and the suppository era may have just ended. But definitely useful. She had to take an antibiotic that she didn't like...