or Connect

Posts by sozobe

Trader Joe's has gummi vites that my dd LOVES -- I am lucky in that she is a very good eater, but I give those to her instead of gummi bears or other kinds of candy (she doesn't eat candy), and she thinks they're an incredibly wonderful treat. (RDA is 2/day, she has them more like 5 X/ week.)
Yep, 2-ish. At around 21 months she started being "almost 2", then 2, then "just turned 2", and for the last couple of months "2 and a half", which only just became true. She'll probably be "2 and a half" for a couple more months, then "almost 3".
I really had to lock horns with my ped about this one. My dd is hearing, I'm deaf. At around that same time, my ped asked "so how many words does she say?" At the time it wasn't many, BUT -- she knew 300 signs!! Ped was unimpressed. "Yes, but how many words does she SAY?" Grrrrrrrr.... A deaf friend of mine with a hearing daughter a few months older than mine started her dd in speech therapy for delays, and I was starting to doubt myself a bit. This friend was...
I agree completely that noting differences is developmentally appropriate -- it's just gonna happen. That's interesting that you live in a racially charged area, though, which makes it a bit of an issue. The response you have been giving sounds like a good one. I think you want to acknowledge that there are in fact differences, and emphasize that those differences are interesting and beautiful rather than embarrassing. Don't worry about what people think -- if they...
I was already completely horrified, but your last post takes it to a whole new level. This is just Wrong with a capital W. "mm-hmm"ing through a conversation with your dh is not gonna cut it (no pun intended.) You are entirely justified in really letting them have it, certainly severely curtailing their access to your dd until they have proven themselves capable. And I mean proven. I just can't get over it, and I'm not in the least involved! The pure...
Hi nappyhair, Yep, I'm bilingual too, since before dd -- I became deaf as a teenager. English is my first language, ASL my second. I think (hearing children of hearing parents) are most motivated to sign when that is THE way for them to communicate. When they can communicate as easily or even more easily by talking, there is less motivation to sign. I do lipread, and my husband is hearing, so my daughter speaks a great deal. (Today at dinner she said, "I want...
Hi nappyhair, Yep, my daughter is bilingual. She is currently a little chatterbox, and also signs pretty much whatever she wants to. (1,000 signs? A guess.)
Aw. Lots of creative kids! One thing I wanted to get in there -- while there is certainly nothing wrong with made-up signs ("home signs"), and a lot that is great about it, it is not the equivalent to ASL. ASL signs have liguistic commonalities, the manual equivalent of phonemes (the building blocks of language), and lots of other good linguistic stuff that has been shown to aid in general language development. (meister, that's the sign for "show" or "show me." ...
I think part of what Sears does is to try to make sure he is not preaching exclusively to the choir. If there are people who are predisposed for cultural other reasons to spanking or CIO, I think it's better that they be drawn in and at least mitigate the ill effects, than to take one look and put the book down in favor of "Babywise" or some other decidedly NON AP book. And I do know some people who started out decidedly non-AP, read "The Baby Book", and changed their...
queen620's story is part of why I get... impatient... with the tone some anti-CIO* people take. By all means, be anti-Ezzo. By all means, educate whenever possible. But must they so harshly condemn the mothers who often were doing the best they could with the information they had? I am married to a scientist, and am in the field of education. Through both of these prisms I see that the basic building blocks of "truth" change, often. Things that everyone is certain...