or Connect

Posts by sozobe

Interesting question! The other day, we were reading "Curious George Rides a Bike", and dd was very interested in the diagram that showed how to make a boat out of newspapers. So I got some newspaper and we made a boat. Obviously, once you've made a boat you need to launch it, so we walked down to the river and did so. It was quite seaworthy indeed, and we watched it go until it rounded the bend. Then we hung out and fed ducks and geese for a long time, and then I...
Thanks for finding it, Denny!
There was recently a really interesting article in Salon that talked about the possibility of a genetic component to NOT wanting kids. Some of us are genetically predisposed to wanting kids, others aren't. Think of it in terms of homosexuality -- nothing that a straight person could say about the wonders of heterosexual sex would "convince" a gay or lesbian person. It's inherent. The article (I can try to find it if someone asks) was specifically about a study that...
I hope it was clear that I wasn't suggesting that course of action -- "see, aren't mealtimes fun!" -- I was trying to figure out what one earth could possibly be going on. The fact that the mother was making statements about how well the child is eating when, in fact, the child did not eat ANYTHING disturbs me a great deal. I don't want to jump to conclusions based on that small piece of evidence, though, so I am trying to think of possible explanations. If taken at...
You didn't mention what the two signs were -- from the context I doubt that they are "Mama" and "Dada", but just in case, wanted to reassure you that a word is a word is a word be it spoken or signed.
Quote: Originally posted by becoming My sister denies that anything is wrong. She tells her pediatrician that she's eating fine. When she brings her to our house and we eat a meal, my sister first puts her in the high chair, then lets her down when she screams, and without her even eating a bite, my sister will say, "Did you see how good she ate? She must have been hungry!" Not being sarcastic, either. [/B] OK, while I agree with LoveBeads that...
Cool! My dd had about 300 signs at 18 months, and now has... more. The 300-sign thing was the last time I tried to count. The signs she uses most often are probably "milk", "NOW" (as in when I say "just a minute, honey..."), "hungry" (used while voicing plaintively "I'm soooooo hungwy..."), "bird", "chair/sit", "delicious", "bear/ polar bear/ little bear/ mother bear/ father bear", and "listen" ("I hear something...") That's just off the top of my head. She went...
My dd is doing great with using the potty. We haven't done anything official; we just bought a potty quite a while ago, she got used to it, and then she started using it occasionally from very early (14 mos?) but we didn't push it at all. She now uses it quite reliably when she is naked, and sometimes will take off her clothes to use it. One big selling point for her is the lack of "smoosh" when she poops on the potty vs. diaper, if you know what I mean. I have...
Hi geekmom, I'm an ASL-user as well. (Deaf.) (Have we already been over this? : Sorry, if yes and I have forgotten.) I admit to being a little confused by what you were asking, owensmom -- if it is that you want to just plain teach him what it means, I agree with Curious that using it yourself when you are hurt is a good way. I think that's how my dd learned it. (She started using it herself, I don't recall teaching her.) She has been able to sign it pretty...
One thing about "hurt" is that it is location specific -- putting index fingers (almost) together and twisting them in opposite directions is the general sign, but for example instead of saying "My knee hurts" with three different signs, you put your index fingers on either side of your knee and do the twist thing. My dd will do "hurt" with one or two hands while crying, showing me -what- hurts, which helps.