or Connect

Posts by sozobe

One general thing I've noticed a lot is the tendency to extrapolate from your own kids(s) -- "If my dd was in that situation, she would be so unhappy, therefore this other child must be unhappy, too." It's a natural tendency -- I have certainly done it -- but I become more convinced with everything I read (both colloquial and scholarly) that kids have innate personalities which can be urged in one way or another but are very hard to squelch. Say two moms are talking...
I really found the better kinds of shoes (Stride Rite, Elefanten) to be a big help. They offer more flexibility, support, good things like that. I bought some cheapies at Old Navy last year, when dd was walking but still not totally steady, and she fell MUCH more often with the cheapies than with the "good" shoes. But that doesn't mean you have to pay the big bucks. Resale stores ("Once Upon A Child" et al) often have them for cheap, not to mention garage sales,...
You can also tell your dh that my daughter, who was signing much more than she spoke at ~20 months, is now a little grammatical chatterbox. She speaks WAY beyond her peers, which is typical of kids who are taught sign from early on. The gains often fade by kindergarten -- that is, the signing kids speak as well as their peers rather than way way better -- but studies show that it only helps.
I agree. If he's making himself understood, what's the problem? I really doubt he will NEVER voice "please." My daughter is bi-lingual (I'm deaf) and she simultaneously signs and voices many things, including "please" and "sorry".
My dd has been signing "milk" forever (since 5 months?) and says "mommy milk" now in addition to signing. "Mommy milk" comes from "boobsies", and she just LOVES Mommy's boobsies. The other day she was kind of admiring them, and started laughing. I asked why, and she said, "I'm laughing because they are just SO CUTE!" : Gotta love those toddler brains...
Old Navy has hats very similar to Hanna Andersson hats, but MUCH cheaper and generally easier to find a store (I agree with trying them on rather than guessing sizes.) They have a basic white one with velcro that we've gotten for the last 3 summers (3 different hats) and works great. I forget the price but in the $5 range (might have been on sale.)
I went to my high school reunion a while ago, and talked to a guy I've known forever -- we went to the same schools from kindergarten straight through college. We were just kinda chatting, and he said something about "the kiss." I was like, wha...? Turns out we kissed under the table in kindergarten, and he has always remembered. (I had NO idea -- totally forgot.) He remembered, like, what I was wearing. We were five!!! (He was seriously quite hurt that I didn't...
I had a poll on this a while back -- can find it if requested. It had interesting numbers for when kids really go to bed. I was just thinking about this in terms of my upbringing. I am tempermentally a night owl, always have been, always will be, and bedtime/rising was a continuous source of tension between me and my parents. It's a major thing that I remember from my childhood. I was sent to bed whether I was tired or not (and I wasn't) at about 8:00 PM, because my...
Something I thought of while reading is "maybe they're intimidated" or don't quite know how to do it. Have you done a demonstration? I remember when I was going to a babycare preparation class and I was so nervous about how to diaper correctly and so awed by a guy who'd had kids before (second marriage) and wrapped the diaper into that little packet. That seems soooooooooooooooo long ago now, but there was definitely a time that I was actually quite concerned. I know...
When we all co-slept (dh has been sleeping on his own for a while now -- see my poll on the subject that I'd forgotten about but was just revived!), we always had a rolled-up towel between dh and dd. It seemed to help.