or Connect

Posts by sozobe

This thread reads like a thriller if you come to it late (as alsoSarah and I have...) At the beginning I was thinking no no no don't shave it!! Then it went back and forth, what's gonna happen, what's gonna happen, then WHEW!! Your daughter is just beautiful, rwikene. The picture of her in the blue dress, first pic after haircut, is just lovely. You did a really nice job!
Oh, I can relate. A Richard Scarry anthology ("The lion book", as per dd, for the picture on the cover) spent time in hiding after the umpteenth consecutive reading. I think it's just developmental -- think Teletubbies. Again! Again! I think it is a good thing cognitively, just rather trying for us parents.
OT: Indiegirl, just wanted to let you know that I'm Deaf, have a master's in Deaf Education and am active with early intervention, so if you have any questions re: your daughter, feel free to contact me.
Yes, the New Yorker site was taken down by the blackout. Now it's back. Here's the article: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/conten...alk_surowiecki Excerpt: Quote: The problem is that while it may be economically rational for a middle-class professional to forgo having kids, the effect of a baby embargo would be economically disastrous, and not just for the producers of SpongeBob SquarePants. Parents may have to bear the costs of rearing children, but...
There must be several different kinds of swimming lessons that carry entirely different connotations for different people. Here's what I think of: Fun, cheap social activity. Cost ~$30 for 10 lessons. Met at least one little girl we are continuing to see since class ended. Learned basic skills. (I was deathly afraid of the water and never so much as put my head under until I was 10, never took any swimming classes, can kinda flop around to save my life, wouldn't...
There was an article in the $$ section of this week's New Yorker about the benefits of large families. The site seems to be down (blackout-related?) so I don't have a link, but will try again later.
Thanks for that link, Denny. Good to know. I don't think they are saying that swimming lessons are a "total waste of time", though -- just that they are no guarantee (at all) of increased safety. The parent/tot class that I attended felt very valuable because we both learned the building blocks -- she learned how to do them, I learned how to help her do them. Like, I wasn't sure how to teach her to put her face in the water, and didn't want to do it the wrong way...
First, I think that playing independently is a really important skill. It depends on the age, of course, but it's not necessarily in everyone's best interest if the kid is being entertained all of the time -- Mommy is incredibly fun, of course, but there are lots of benefits to being able to play independently. My dd has just started doing this more, and I'm really happy about it. I will be doing something -- cleaning, whatever -- realize that I haven't seen her in a...
Welcome!
Quote: Originally posted by NiteNicole I have never heard of having a parent in the water for swim lessons. My dd and I took a class this summer, her first swimming class, that was called "Parent/Tot Swim." It was for 2 to 4 yr-olds, and was with a parent, and two instructors. It was GREAT. Dd loved it. She learned all of the necessary skills (blowing bubbles, dunking, kicking, gliding), and had a great time. Zero trauma. I don't see how it...