or Connect

Posts by sozobe

I didn't remember that study quite right: [qupte]Two interesting studies; one with La Leche League toddlers ages 2-3, night nursing on demand, in Sweden I believe. The children whose parents did not brush their teeth at all had the most cavities; those whose parents brushed, but with a nonfluoridated toothpaste had a moderate caries rate; and those children whose parents brushed with a fluoride toothpaste had no cavities at all. The study did account for socioeconomic...
Just one thing to add here -- flouride. Smilemomma cited a study in which flouride was the single biggest determining factor for cavities. i.e., children who were night nursed but had their teeth brushed with flouride had less cavities than those who were not night nursed and had their teeth brushed with non-flouride toothpaste or water. And yes, it is horrifying how little is known about the importance of brushing even babies' teeth. Brush! :
Well, I have only one and I feel overwhelmed RIGHT NOW! Dh is in the middle of a months-long push to finish an important paper, and is working EVERY day for at least 8 hours, 12 being more common. Dd woke up early this a.m.; we all go to bed at the same time and I NEED my morning time. I thought she would sleep until at least 9, and she woke up at 7:30, 5 minutes after I did (different rooms.) Since she didn't get enough sleep, she is also whiny and clingy and won't...
Oh, I forgot a really important thing: She HATES being wiped on the changing table, especially after a squashy poop. I explained to her that when she pooped in the potty, it wouldn't get squashed -- I'd just have to wipe a little bit of her butt instead of the whole thing. She was interested. The first time she pooped in the potty I just took a couple of swipes -- "See, all done!!" (Gave her a bath a little later, tho. ) Anyway, that was a big selling point for...
We got a little potty very early -- 18 months or so, I think. We showed her how to use it, but didn't press the issue at all. At some point, when naked, she started to pee and I put her on it and then praised her to high heaven for peeing on the potty. She liked that, and did it once in a while when naked. About 6 months ago, (?), I realized she was getting really consistent about peeing on the potty when she was naked, and I got a soft potty seat thing that goes on...
Exactly, Breathe. Sorry to hijack! Glad to know that your bedtime situation has improved.
Hmmm... :? The article makes some points, but misrepresents what Sears actually says, IMO. And by focusing on the whole "natural" thing, discounts much more empirical evidence about the benefits to co-sleeping, babywearing, etc. For example, I really don't think Sears says this: Quote: In my opinion, it is a cruel thing to tell a new mother that babies who are mothered "naturally" (read: correctly) never cry. Rather the opposite in fact. ...
Found the article... reading it now: http://www.brainchildmag.com/essays/...2003_eller.htm I agree that processing is super important. We usually do this two times a day -- at dinner and then before bed. Never considered it to be part of the routine before, but you're right, I think that helps the whole decompressing thing along.
Hi! Resident deafie/ signer at your service. Others have already given some really good advice. Main thing is to differentiate between exposure and "teaching". If you make a big point out of teaching several different signs, that might be confusing and frustrating as your kid wants to do the "right" thing, and if there is pressure to "learn" the sign, that might take the fun out of it. But that's not the impression I get from what you say. Look at it this way...
NiteNicole, you make a valid point, but I didn't get the impression that Amy planned to arm herself with the latest studies and then go make the presentation to her friend's husband herself... just getting ideas to pass on to her friend, for her friend to use or not. Nothing wrong with that, especially if her friend specifically asked for that kind of support. (From the OP, "I promised her that I'd do what I could to help her find a way.")