or Connect

Posts by sozobe

First, I think that everyone is basically on the same page in a lot of ways. I don't see anyone talking about forcing their daughters to do something (and btw, I find it interesting that this discussion is overwhelmingly about daughters), but in giving them the information and encouragement necessary to make a decision that they are comfortable with. As long as the information is there -- that the 17-year-old who is really, really hot for her boyfriend knows what her...
OK, let me toss something out there. A lot of the discussion so far has dealt with sex within a committed relationship. I am, thankfully, a ways away from having to deal with this with my dd (scares the snot out of me, too), but one thing I think I would teach my dd is that she is allowed to like sex in and of itself. It's fun. It's long bothered me that there is this whole thing that men just want to get laid while women want this pure, spiritual sex with a lifetime...
I also thought that the timing was significant. I only recently have figured out that my daughter needs to cry sometimes -- not not not CIO, but the everyday stresses of life build up and she needs to cry. We just went to a family reunion and I was extra careful about keeping her happy, and this little kid who never has tantrums had 2 big huge hysterical blowouts -- fine fine fine fine then WHOA!! I.e., usually she cries a bit over the course of the day about little...
Quote: Originally posted by Alexander Hey! What's wrong ith a teenage! ag Mind you, if she were with me, I agree she could lose the seashell bra a Uh, isn't the point there that she is lust-inducing? And doesn't that prove the "sexualized" point?
Trader Joe's has gummi vites that my dd really loves. She actually noticed them on the shelf, and as I had just turned down many requests for candies, nuts, cookies, etc., I decided to go ahead and get them. She sees them as a special treat. (She has one maybe 5 X a week or less.)
Quote: Originally posted by DebraBaker Oh, yes, about the signing thing. Old fat Gary himself relates (cackling with his own sense of humor) an incident in which he was watching his (I believe) 13 month old granddaughter. She wanted to get down and play and GE told her to sign, "up" (or whatever) and she refused and *he* put her in a *drawer* until she signed for him. Nasty-nasty man. DB
Wait wait wait Ezzo talks about sign? Talks about forcing sign? Ga-REAT! I've been so happy about how more and more people are signing with their babies/ toddlers, and would hate hate hate for the likes of Ezzo to mess with that (i.e. teaching stupid things/ starting a backlash.) (I'm deaf and having a bi-lingual hearing daughter.) Argh.
I had an experience which really made an impression on me, in terms of how we think we are perceived vs. how we are really perceived. When I was in high school, I thought I was a dweeb. I couldn't afford brand-name clothes (Guess, Esprit) so I put vintage finds together in creative ways, that kind of thing. There was this guy, Will, who I had a huge crush on. Gorgeous. He and I and some friends would play frisbee outside at lunch time when weather permitted. There...
We've never given juice in a sippy cup, but dd has been allowed to have sips of whatever I am drinking since she was maybe 18 months, and I have a lot of juice. She has a parks dept. "class"/ playgroup that serves snacks, usually with a small paper cup of apple juice. I always brush her teeth after she has juice (well, I brush her teeth after every meal). She is pretty indifferent to juice. She doesn't mind it, rarely asks for sips from mine, will drink it if...
Oh one more thing... At that age it started to be important to my dd to have more control over what she ate. So I would fill an ice cube tray with various goodies, and give her the whole thing. She'd eat some things, not others -- her choice. Also interesting dishes seemed to help, things that she could hold and take over to her small table and eat on her own. Good luck!