or Connect

Posts by motherdownunder

Here's another long suffering mother of a 4 yo demon. Three years old was so beautiful!!!!! I miss my lovely ds, and the moments when I see him are getting rarer. But I have heard they go through another "terrible two's" sort of thing around 4 or 5, trying to push things to find their place,etc. We also had baby this year, so it's hard to tell what the problem is. Also wanted to add that we recently found out a lot of it was due to severe hearing loss from...
Thanks for replying. I talked to our acupuncturist today and she confirmed that it's common to hear strange noises in your head with this glue ear condition. He has come to me quite a few times to ask me what I said when I hadn't said anything at all. So no wonder he's afraid, he can't hear me, he's hearing strange noises in his head, plus the usual fear of the dark a four year old might have. Well his ears are getting cleared out properly with ear candles so hopefully...
I guess this started when ds was 2yrs and 9 months and we went on holiday for a week (with him of course). When we got back he was too scared to walk across the living room by himself to come to our room in the mornings and would just cry in bed until we went to him. He was also scared to go (outside) to the toilet by himself. Very, very slowly this seemed to improve and he would occasionally play alone or whatever. Recently though he has become extremely resistant...
All I can tell you is that I asked my (home birth) midwife about it, and she said that it will pass through to the baby like everything else you consume. I would be extremely cautious, especially with a baby girl. I never did go back on the pill of any sort.
Isobel, I just wanted to add, don't think it's your fault or anything bc I seem to be living your exact same life except in Australia and my son is 4. He was well prepared, saw his little brother born at home, was thrilled with him and still doesn't show any actual resentment or anthing, BUT..... We don't have time together which we are both grieving for, we ARGUE constantly, house is a pit, I'm depressed, etc. No help for you here, except some small comfort in knowing...
Hi, My dh took care of ds #1 (3 1/2) all during the labour, then woke him up for the birth, and he sat on the floor and watched. He really insisted that he wanted to see it, but he's older than your first one. Anyway, he had already gone back to bed by the time the placenta was delivered so I just wanted to say that maybe keeping them out until the placenta comes and everything is cleaned up may not be the best idea (I know people that took 3 or more hours for the...
I have SO been there!! Mostly though, our now 7 month old falls asleep while I walk up and down with him (he decided about 2 weeks ago he was too uncomfortable in the sling) and usually this is while ds #1 is having dinner and/or watching TV. SO I can still talk to him, etc. If your baby is fussing for 2 hours before going to sleep maybe he needs to stay up a bit later and be played with, rather than trying to get him to sleep. What works for us is ds #1 and I give...
I have found 3 years old to be the most wonderful age and I LOVED spending time with my son. I'm very glad I chose not to send him to school like nearly all his friends. He'll be joining them next year when he's 4 1/2 and it's breaking my heart to think of him away from me for 3 whole days a week. Serenetabbie, I don't think it will take long for them to learn those little things like raising their hand, etc. and from what I've seen my son follows directions better...
We feel very strongly that our children should have a strong understanding of reality first so that fantasy and pretending can then be built on that later. I won't go into the whole philosophy behind it, but we believe it will help them to be adults capable of living in the present rather than victims of the random thoughts that plague the minds of most adults (including ourselves, both TV kids). So to allow that to happen we try to present only the truth for the first 4...
I know exactly how you feel. Our ds, 4, is very rambunctious (bouncing off the walls type) and my in-laws always go on about 2 of their other grandkids (children of their favorite son!) who are such ANGELS, they just sit quietly and read, or sit quietly and do puzzles, or sit quietly and play gameboy, they are just such ANGELS!!!!! We also get the "I'm tired from just watching him, etc" comments and the general impression that they think there is something wrong with...