or Connect

Posts by Joyful Mama

hooray for thursday or friday! the doc said friday for us today...but i'm thinking it will be after the weekend - he had a dose of caffeine today, and they are supposed to be off of caffeine for a week before coming home. suits me fine, because i was planning on having a birthday party for DS2 on Sunday. it will be a busy weekend, though, since i'm moving in to the hospital now!
I'm glad it's going so well, Sara! My 30-weeker, Asher, was breastfeeding all of his feeds by 34 weeks, so I was kind of psyching myself up for that this time around. Alas, Nathan has been super sleepy at the breast for the past few days, and I have been so frustrated! BUT this afternoon, I tried him with the nipple shield and we're quite sure he got a full feed. I'm so thrilled! How do they determine how much Zephan gets? Test weighs or pulling back on his NG? We...
nm
that's so exciting! i hope it continues to go well for you and Zephan, and that he can come home very soon!
i am so done with asking my mom for help - watch the older kiddies, etc. - when i am at the hospital with my baby. friends can only help so much, though. where did you turn for help with older siblings if your DH couldn't take much time off work?
just wanted to give an update on how Nathan is doing! they kept him off feeds for two full days. he started back yesterday at 6 mLs every 3 hours, increasing every 6 hours by 3 mLs, and is now up to 21 mLs and tolerating well. straight breastmilk, thanks to an awesome doctor this week who agreed with me about the pregestimil. not allowed back at the breast yet, though :. i keep getting the nurses to ask permission at rounds (couldn't be there today, can't tomorrow...
Nathan isn't 100% right now. =( I posted on Sara's thread about HMF that we were having similar issues with Nathan. This morning, I arrived for his 9 am feed, and the nurse checked him for residuals. He had over 7 mLs of yellow, mucousy residual. His tummy was also very distended, and has been becoming moreso over the past day or two. So now feeds are on hold and he is back on his IV. They have done two stomach x-rays (one this morning, one at 6 pm). All I know from...
I wish I could offer advice - but I was just coming on to post something very similar! Nathan is not on HMF because of DS1's dairy allergy. Instead, they add pregestimil (predigested milk protein) formula powder to his breastmilk. Ever since they started it, and especially since they increased it a few days ago, he has been spitting up and gagging for nearly every feed. He looks SO uncomfortable after feeding; I feel like it's just not sitting right, that it's just too...
he did AWESOME! the nurse thought for sure that he would just cuddle and nuzzle. the breastfeed wasn't actually ordered by a doctor, but i had asked yesterday and the nurse had agreed, thinking he wouldn't do much. i pumped beforehand. he took a couple tries to actually latch, but he did it! AND then he actually got milk - i could tell that he was latched well, and said, "i'm going to have letdown, what should i do?" we watched him take three big gulps, then all...
i will update this afternoon, but i'm excited - i am going to try Nathan at the breast for the first time today! he is 33 weeks to the day. i'm hoping it goes well! he is doing so well, btw - his weight is up to 3 lbs 11.5 oz, and he is just growing and soon-to-be-feeding! i'm so proud of him! they are waiting for a bed to open up at the level 2 nursery here (HOPEFULLY) or at another hospital in town. i'm really hoping we can stay here, though - it's where we stayed...