or Connect

Posts by redheadmama

Thank you all for your input. It's all very interesting and, really, there's a fine line between teaching manners and coercing feelings. I have also been of the opinion that an apology that isn't sincere is meaningless. I do think the suggestions about mentioning to the child that "this is something you could do in this situation to make the other person feel better" is more respectful of the child's feelings than telling them that they HAVE to be sorry for something...
I was visiting a friend today and her 2 1/2 year old son interrupted me as I was talking. I think my friend was a bit fed up with his overall behavior lately, and maybe it was the last straw for her, but she told him he was being cheeky and made him say "sorry" to me (several times because he didn't say it loud enough) and then she wanted him to give me a hug. Arrrgh. I was so uncomfortable. My ds is the same age and even with my older dss (9 and 7) I never forced them...
I, too, have kept journals off and on since I was a teenager. This is such an interesting thread for me because just recently I started debating getting rid of them because I really don't want anybody reading them, ever. There's nothing in there that would interest anybody anyway...to me it's all just my mental clutter. On the other hand, I can relate to Piglet68 and the comment that we're all human, and who cares what anybody thinks? However, I tend to lean more...
I saw the film last night and it was amazingly intense. I found myself not really enjoying it while I was watching it, but when it was finished, and I had a chance to sort of digest it all, I really liked it. Very dark, disturbing, complex and well-acted. I am also following suit and went out this morning and got the book from the library. It really was amazing how many tiny details were included in the film that you'd get this feeling about: "Oh, is that minor detail...
Here are a few others that I like a lot: "If you don't have a sense of humor, it just isn't funny." (MDC signature line...don't know the author.) "Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do children as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure....
I collect quotes all the time, whenever I find one I like. The best one lately was actually one I read on somebody's signature line here on MDC: "Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person." --Anon.
Ah, yes, the Fifteen Minutes of Fame thing. Now it makes sense... I am a fellow Scot in spirit...while my home is now in Linlithgow, I'm originally from Oregon, USA. Where are you from? And I'm glad to hear that most people really did think his antics were pointless and dull. I just kept asking myself, what's his objective? I still haven't figured it out.
Oh, that is just too hysterical! PinkSunfish, since you are in London, did you happen to actually see The Man in The Plastic Box? I heard the vast majority of people down there were jeering him at the beginning, but then there was a lot of support at the end? Why? What caused the turnaround? Or was that just what the media wants us to believe?
LiamnEmma- The apparent answer to your question is diapers... I'm glad to know there are others out there who see through that man's megalomania. Did any of you hear about the guy who set up a barbeque under David's cage and had himself a grill fest...wafting the scent of chargrilled burgers David's way...What a hoot!
I just saw this, too. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sending positive vibes and big hugs your way. Stay strong.