or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

Quote: Originally Posted by Fuamami I do think the wording is a little strange, but I don't know how I would change it. For some reason, to me, "Special Man in Your Life" sounds vaguely romantic? Well, you know, now that I think of it, I don't even know for sure that the change of the event name was even an attempt to be inclusive - maybe the moms who are chairing it just thought "Father's Day Breakfast" sounded boring! I also don't like...
Thanks for putting your fingers right on what was bothering me - I couldn't quite verbalize it yesterday, but yes, it is as though she feels that somehow being inclusive undermines traditional families. It seemed as though she felt somehow threatened by the whole thing. She didn't seem to care if "non-fathers" attended, but she did not like the fact that they changed the name. She said if they care so much about including those other families they can have a different...
Questions relating to sex are answered as they are asked, for the most part. Sexual violence is a whole other story. I am not comfortable with DD watching the news or even reading parts of the newspaper, because there are too many upsetting stories. Even if she knows that people get murdered, she doesn't need the details. She doesn't need to see a picture. And I see no reason why she has to know that children are sometimes murdered by their own parents. As far...
DD's school has an annual Father's Day breakfast, and this year the parents organizing it chose to call it Breakfast of Champions and say it is for "your child and the special man in his/her life." Clearly they are trying to show consideration for children who might have single moms, or any other family arrangement where there might not be a father available. Another mom I know thought this was ridiculous, and that she thinks people try too hard to be "pc," which I do...
Quote: Originally Posted by sbgrace In general I think it's better not to say something about a child's development to the parent unless you are directly asked. It never feels good to be told something might be "wrong" with your child. And the majority of people are going to feel defensive and negative even if the concern is warranted. I'd leave this to the parents, teachers, doctors, etc. involved regularly in your nephew's life. Sounds like there may...
Quote: Originally Posted by karne Some friends of dd's have watched Mama Mia and Grease recently. While I love the music, and dd does too, I'm hesitant about some of the older teen/adult themes in the movies. I wonder what you all think of these movies? I haven't seen Mamma Mia, but there is no way I'd let DD (10) see Grease (and I know a lot of her friends have seen it). DD has seen some movies with more adult themes, but it's the message...
Thank you for your thoughts, LynnS6. I will take a look in the library - I think I've seen "The Out-of-Sync Child" there on the shelves. He definitely is capable of getting his own clothes from his parents' suitcase and dressing himself. He's fairly independent in his self-care; last fall when we visited them at their home I often woke up and found he was the only one up and had gotten himself a bowl of cereal and was eating and reading at the kitchen table. I do...
I have some concern about my nephew who turned 7 in February, and was hoping for some perspective. He has some issues that don't necessarily seem related but I wonder if they can be all part of something larger that I am not seeing? Here's the list: - lots of articluation errors, such as substitutiing /w/ for /l/ and /r/, substituting /v/ or /d/ for the voiced /th/ in words like "those" and substituting /f/ for the voiceless /th/ as in "thing." Plus he has a frontal...
I know what you mean. It really stinks when the last ten minutes or so before you bid your child goodbye at the school bus stop or the school door is filled with tension. My otherwise delightful daughter is really slow at getting her act together, so being ready on time for things can become a major issue without planning! It's far from perfect, but here's what helps us: She wakes up at 7:00 a.m. in order to leave at 8:30. That leaves a decent amount of wiggle...
Just curious, granolalight, in case I ever have to deal with lice again, for how long did you do the conditioner/comb thing? And about how long would you say it took each time? DD's hair is long and thick and to go through it with a nit comb took hours!