or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

Yes, I do have a basement, and it isn't finished and kind of creepy! It's not too cluttered, though, and I've peeked around and I haven't seen droppings or shredded paper (mice do that, right?), and as old and fat as my cat is, I'm pretty sure if we had 'em in the basement he would have given us some kind of clue (or a half-mouse present of his own!). I'll check the perimeter more carefully - I have taken a look but not a great one. Also, we have a deck out back as I...
I don't know if my dd's experience with her first preschool matches yours, but something in your post sounded familiar to me and I had to reply. DD never seemed unwilling to go to school, but she started developing what looked like a fear of boys. On playgrounds, she would freeze and tense up any time boys ran by, as though she was afraid they would knock her down or something. She had never exhibited that kind of behavior before. It turned out that the combination...
I'm pretty indifferent to the character ed program in dd's school. I figure that's DH's and my job. I don't think thse programs can really hurt, but there is one exception, mentioned by someone else - the ones that teach kids to have an inflated sense of self-esteem based on nothing other than the fact that they can breathe. Don't get me wrong - all children should be valued simply for who they are, not their accomplishments. But sometimes these things get out of...
Every once in while, there is a dead mouse on my driveway. Just laying there like it had a heart attack or something. Now, we have had 3 mouse-in-the-house situations in the past. One was at least seven years ago, when DH swore he saw something run up the side of the bookcase and the next morning it was dead on the carpet (another heart attack? I swear, my cat is way too old and fat to have killed it!). But the last two were more recent, both live ones discovered in...
Another vote for olive oil here. DD picked up head lice at camp this past summer, and it was a nightmare. Every time I thought they were gone I'd get a nasty surprise while doing her hair one morning. The over the counter things, like Nix or Rid, did not work. I covered DD's hair and scalp in olive oil every two or three nights for two weeks and continued combing and checking regularly during this time. Based on what I learned about the life cycle of the lice, I...
I agree with the poster who said you can't compare Barbies with Bratz dolls. I understand people's objections to Barbie because her body isn't realistic, but if you disregard her giant boobs and tiny waist, everything else about her is pretty wholesome and sweet. Those Bratz dolls are so overtly sexual and the ones that look like babies or little girls are especially sick - at least Barbie is supposed to be an adult, yk? I also don't get the way so many of the Bratz...
Thanks for the replies so far. Because I'm kind of a chicken about having a conversation like this with SIL, I tried it out on MIL first, just to see if perhaps she had noticed these things about her grandson and even if she had talked about them with SIL - maybe she knew things I didn't, yk? I figured her viewpoint would be interesting because my DD, age 9, and my nephew are her only grandchildren and she must be aware of the tremendous differences between them in the...
I voted no. DD (9) hasn't been invited to any yet, but at the moment there are only two families I would say yes to. If I don't know all the members of the household pretty well, no way. I guess if she starts getting invited to some, I'll just offer to host instead or do an "almost-sleepover." It's funny, because I loved sleeping over at my friends' houses when I was a kid - it was mostly the same two friends - but as a parent I find myself thinking "why the heck...
Hi all - I hope someone here can help me decide if I need to gently suggest to SIL that her son should be screened for speech and OT at school. He is almost 6 and in kindergarten in a private school, and I'm really surprised the school has not discussed any of this with the parents. Here's what I see going on with him: He has a lot of pronunciation issues that I think are no longer "normal" for his age: r and l often come out as w, and he cannot combine the letter s...
...anyone?