or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

I think that you should get a huge group of parents together and put some pressure on the school to change this. In a good school with a good library staff, library time really fosters a love of books and reading in the kids. Most school librarians will read different types of books to kids and get them excited about finding books of the same genre to take home, and it truly enriches any reading curriculum. It just makes absolutely no sense to deprive kindergarteners...
My daughter just started second grade this year. She has never, and I mean NEVER, had any separartion anxiety whatsoever, even when she was a toddler. She has never been afraid of new situations and usually jumps into every new experience with both feet and a smile on her face. She has adjusted to every single schooling change with no problem at all. About two weeks into the school year, she suddenly began to develop separation anxiety. At first I didn't even know...
Wow, that is a very long day for a kindergartener. Does the school day really start at 7:30??? Honestly, I would just let him do his lessons in school and see how it goes. I imagine it's only a week into the term, right? He'll be learning all his letters and numbers and pre-reading skills at school, so why give more lessons at home? Better to just be involved and know what he's learning so you can reinforce it at home - you know, if the letter of the week is B,...
I also dislike the idea of students grading each others' work. I taught for six years and never did this. Lots of kids want their grades to be kept private - including some with top grades. I think it's disrespectful of teachers to do this. As far as penmanship counting in a spelling test, definitely not fair in the beginning of the year. Later in the school year, a teachers knows each student's penmanship quirks and is better able to tell if an error is from...
They have snack in all the grades at my DD's elementary school (up to 5th grade). Kids bring their own snacks, and some teachers are stricter than others about the types of snacks. Some will not allow any junk food, some don't care. DD just got a welcome letter from her new teacher today (2nd grade) saying only water and no juice at snacktime. I'm thrilled, but I bet a lot of other parents won't be. Snack time is in the morning, and lunch is around noon. I'd...
I'm a cerified teacher (K-6) and have been paid $65 for a once-weekly session (45 minutes to an hour). Honestly, I feel kind of weird charging that much, but that's what tutors get around here.
Those families seem pretty extreme sometimes, but I guess that's what the producers want. I don't like all of her methods either, but I do find that she has a lot of good ideas. She's pretty clear on the fact that children need attention and can't be expected to "go play" for hours at a time without any behavior problems. I like that she encourages families to have fun together, that she believes in limiting television, that she generally does what she does in a...
I don't buy candy for DD, but if she gets some at a party or for Halloween or if another child offers her some, she's allowed. When it is in the house - usually in a goody bag - I put it in the cabinet. She'll ask for a piece for a day or two and then forget, then I throw it out (but if there are Reese's peanut butter cups I eat them! ).
Well, as the parent of a child who likes to negotiate EVERYTHING, and often only asks "why?" so that she can find something to argue with, I have definitely used that phrase, or some equivalent of it. I do prefer the alternatives, because I do think "I said so" isn't the best way to express what I mean. It isn't because I said so as much as because that's the rule, the rule has a reason, and that reason isn't going to go away. So my daughter will often hear me say,...
DD used to drool over the American Girl catalogs, and spent a whole year saving up her allowance (only $2 a week) to buy Molly. DH and I wanted to see how much she would actually play with it before buying such an expensive doll for her. Well, that doll became her best friend, and she immediately began saving for Kaya, but we then surprised her for her birthday. Now she has Josefina, too - she paid for that one out of her allowance, too. She takes very good care of...