or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

Thanks for the replies! I really cannot remember what my DD was like at age 3, so hearing from moms of 3-year-olds that this is not unusual makes me feel better. I do have a ton of patience with him - people at camp remark how patient I am with the little ones. Amazing how easy it is to be patient with other people's kids! What Roar said - he does seem to need repeated explanations for other things as well - for example, a playground slide (it's sort of three...
In my experience, most children at age 3 are better at understanding what is said to them than they are at expressing themselves verbally. But I have met a child for whom the reverse seems to be true, and I was wondering if anyone here has a child like this, because i have some questions. I work at a day camp and I am in charge of a group of three-year-old boys. Honestly, they are really young for this type of camp program, but that's another issue! A little boy in...
Ditto about everything quoted from "Protecting the Gift." Best book I ever read. The only thing I have to add is to teach your kids one simple rule - CHECK FIRST. The neighbor wants to give you a cookie if you help her rake her leaves? CHECK FIRST! Your new playground buddy's dad has a bag of snacks and offered you some? CHECK FIRST! It's a really simple rule - if any grown up other than mom or dad (and maybe grandma and grandpa) wants to give you food, a...
Quote: Luna - I love your idea of starting a nutrition committee... can you tell me more about how you went about it and how you function>? Sure - Honestly, it just started when I started talking to a bunch of people about how disappointed I was with our school's lunch menu, since we live in an area where people are fairly well educated and quite a lot of people do try to feed their kids healthy foods. So a few of us joined together, went to a...
I'd like to plant some veggies in a square foot garden, but I have automatic sprinklers that go off every other day, and the only really sunny spot I have for planting veggies is right where a lot of water lands! That's bad, right? Would I be better off growing things in pots on my deck? What does well in pots besides tomatoes?
DD is in 1st grade in a public school, and there are no vending machines. There are snacks available for purchase in the cafeteria, though, but I don't give her money for them. Our school lunch menu is pretty bad - typical "kid food" entrees, no cooked veggies (just salad - iceberg lettuce, whoopee), so DD brings lunch from home. She also brings snack (all the kids do), but her snack is usually the only healthy one in the class - most kids eat Doritos or snack packs...
NOTHING!!!!!!! : : : : DH is grilling! Man, I love summer - it's the only time DH makes food for us. Sexism, shmexism...thank goodness for the "cooking meat over fire is manly" idea!
We had a good week! Monday: Spiced lamb chops with chickpeas and carrots, basmati rice, green beans Tuesday: Spinach and cheese stuffed manicotti, green salad Wednesday: Broiled tilapia, mashed potatoes, asparagus Thursday: Black bean-avocado quesadillas, yellow rice, tomato and cucumber salad Friday: Chicken piccata, broccoli, and some sort of grain (haven't decided yet!)
Yes, DD knows pretty much everything - what it is, why it happens, what's in the box on the toilet tank, and so on. She knows all the facts about reproduction, too.
My 7 y.o. can easily eat as much as me at a meal (and I don't eat like a bird, let me tell you) and she's skinny as a rail. We joke that she has a tapeworm. We've named him George.