or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

This subject HAS been sort of exhausted at this board, but here's my $.02: In my area, we do lock cars and houses, and I would never run into a store with DD in the car - she's 7 1/2. Believe me, she's asked, "Can't I just wait for you in the car?" but I say no. Unless I'm taking ten steps to drop library books or videos in the drop, she comes with me. When she was younger and fell asleep in the car, I would pull the car into the garage, leave the car windows open...
DH and I took DD to the zoo this weekend, and while in the restroom I heard something that really made me shudder and wish I could say something, but I just didn't know what to do. In the stall next to us a woman had a baby - probably a toddler, but I couldn't see. It was a handicapped stall with a changing table inside. And I heard this: "We have to change your diaper. Come on, we HAVE to change it! Do you want me to get the gorillas? Oh, here come the gorillas,...
My neighbor's 6 year old son broke both his wrists falling off the monkey bars on Sunday. I'd really like to bring him a little something to cheer him up and help keep him occupied, but he can't use his hands. I know they have a ton of DVD's in their house - he's the youngest of three kids. Any ideas?
So many interesting points of view here! Let me just clarify - I don't have a problem with the fact that first graders in this type of program touch on subjects such as fractions and division and so on. I don't think it's developmentally inappropriate to introduce these concepts, not in the way they are presented - for example, children are given groups of objects and asked to divide them among themselves and a few friends, and tell how many each received and how many...
My daughter was reading before kindergarten, but that is not typical at all. She was a natural early reader - I didn't really teach her much unless she asked. You definitely do not need to worry! I would be surprised at any school district that expected kids to be reading at the start of kindergarten! DD is in first grade and most of the kids in her class are just reading a little bit by now. It sounds as though your DS is right where he should be, or even a bit...
It really depends if it's a "house party" or "place party." I have no problem leaving my daughter at the home of someone I know for a birthday party (she's 7), but if it's a party at a bowling alley or something, I stay. I can't expect that the birthday child's parents can keep track of ten or more kids in a large setting that may be crowded and noisy. Occasionally I will trade off party supervision with friends, so if DD and a friend get invited to the same two...
My DD is in first grade (she's a December baby, so she's an "old" first grader) and her school uses a math program that i don't like very much. It's a "spiral" program, where they touch on many concepts in a short period of time and keep returning to them to learn them in greater depth, rather than reamining on a concept (say, telling time) until it is mastered. I personally hate it, and think that it produces kids who are not truly proficient in math skills. For...
We've had similar things happen. We are white, but DD has always preferred dolls of a darker skin tone - she thinks they're prettier. Same with living people! She has Kaya and has almost saved up enough money for Josefina (American Girl dolls.) She also has Molly, who is Caucasian. She chose her because of the glasses (which she says she wishes she wore herself). Nothing against blondes, but I'm kind of pleased that she hasn't gravitated toward the blonde-hair...
Another vote for "It's So Amazing!" You might want to read selectively - there's a lot more info than she probably needsa right now.
I saw some at Children's Place a few weeks ago!