or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

Totally fine! I remember taking baths with my brother when we were 7 and 9.
I had a big backyard BBQ when DD and her friends were 3 1/2 or so, and the biggest hit was our homemade "water table" - just a big Rubbermaid storage tot filled with water and plastic boats and cups and fish and other toys. We had a couple of them so it didn't get to crowded at one. Kids love playing with water. We also had bubbles, beach balls, and popsicles! Good luck!
Only recently. DD is 7 and has been letting herself into the car for a while, but I didn't like her closing the door - I was afraid of slammed fingers. I only just disabled the child safety locks on the rear doors so she can let herself out now, but she knows to wait until I get out first if we're in a parking lot. Plus I let her know which side to exit on - in case we're in a street I don't want her getting out on the side of traffic.
I don't think it's fair to say something negative about Shane's son. He seems like a really sweet kid who clearly adores his dad. That said, it does seem a little weird to me from Shane's end - it's like he is waaayyyyy too emotionally dependent on his son. And where's the mom? Anyone know? I like Cirie a lot, actually. I thought she was really wimpy in the beginning but she has turned out to be an excellent reader of people. Her husband seemed like a sweetie, and...
Does anyone have any recommendations? DD is about a size 7, and I'm having a hard time finding summer pj's that are made of cotton that don't have "Bratz" or "Spongebob" on them! And I hate spending a fortune on something she's going to sleep in. I wish she's wear long t-shirts but she says they hike up, same with nightgowns, so she really prefers 2-piece pj's.
Is this really true, that the average American child watches four hours of television a day? It hardly seems possible, especially if the child goes to school. My daughter has about 30 minutes of free time before school in the mornings. After school, depending on the day (she has a couple of days with afterschool activities), her truly free time is probably no more than two hours, because she has a snack, does homework, has dinner, takes a shower, does her bedtime...
Let me just clarify that this project is being done entirely in the classroom, not at home. So the adults who are helping are the handful of parent volunteers (including myself) who come into school to help out. I was wrong about one part - the typing is done by an adult as the child dictates his/her report, so that it can look like a "real book." Honestly, I'd rather see my child's handwritten work. I think that's more impressive! Today I was in the classroom...
I have Crocs and love them, and DD wanted a pair but the kids' ones are $30 just like the adults' ones, so we tried the ones from Target for $6.99! And you know what? She loves them and says they're really comfortable! And of course they wash right off. The only thing about Crocs or imitation Crocs is that dirt and grass get in the holes. I actually don't like to wear them for gardening because of that.
I'm mostly happy with DD's school and teacher. Of course there are the typical public school things that bug me - you know, the fundraising stuff that always seems to include junk food, the "trends" in math and reading education that often completely miss the mark, etc., but overall, I'm fairly confident that DD will receive a good education in our district. However, there is a huge grade-wide project for the first graders that has been going on for years, and it just...
Yes, I absolutely can. DH isn't really a cook, but we eat pretty healhtfully as a family, and really have little to no junk food in the house anyway. Plus, DH pretty much follows my lead whenever he has to do something that is usually my responsibilty. So if I'm out on a weekend I'll come home to find that he's made her a sandwich for lunch, or given her fruit or veggies and hummus dip for a snack. It must be hard when you don't feel comfortable with the way your...