or Connect

Posts by LunaMom

Oh, it drives me CRAZY when people do that! I have known a few parents like this, who practically praise their child for BREATHING, and I know they mean well, and their actions come from a sincere desire to make their child feel good about him/herself. But YES, it absolutely does the opposite. It creates a child who ONLY feels good about herself when she receives praise. Just look at the OP's example of the child in question needing to ask if throwing away a napkin...
Brilliant move by Cirie. I really like her. How hilarious was she, squealing over her fish? Has anyone else noticed that there is something seriously wrong with Shane's posture? He stands with his back almost impossibly arched and his belly way out, and he walks the same way. He's a freak. He really gives me the creeps.
DH and I drink very little. We might have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion, but we might go a month or two and not drink any alcohol at all. In the summer if we barbecue we'll have a beer or two. I agree that it's good for kids to see what responsible alcohol consumption looks like. DD knows what too much alcohol can do to a person, because we have talked to her about it. She did once ask to taste my wine and I let her have a tiny sip. She said she liked it,...
The craziest thing to me about all these packaged "convenience foods" is that they aren't any more convenient than healthy foods. Plus they're so expensive, and even parents who buy them must have some idea that "Kid Cuisine" is not the best thing to be feeding their child. Isn't it just as convenient to let your child grab an apple or banana from a fruit bowl, or even a handful of whole grain crackers for a snack? And is it really that hard to stick a chicken in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by lilyka they garuntee the hair. if it turns into a mass of nastiness just call them up. my friend did this and they replaced for free. also alwatys use a stiff wire wig brush. I had no idea about this! I knew you could get the hair "refreshed" or even the head replaced, at the doll hospital, but I assumed you had to pay for that - the prices for those and other repair services are listed in the catalog. It's...
My DD, age 7 1/2, has two American Girl dolls, both historical ones, and loves them. But when the catalog comes in the mail, she does ooh and aah over the Bitty Baby stuff, and even more so over the Bitty Twins stuff. I don't think 5 is too old for baby dolls, but since Bitty Baby is kind of pricey, you might want to think about how much longer she will play with it. It really depends on the kid. Once in a while my DD will pull out her old baby dolls, but not too...
Yes, DD (7) has a bedtime. She starts getting ready for bed between 7:00 and 7:30, then I read to her, and sometimes she reads in bed herself if there's time. Lights go out at 8:00 p.m. She needs to get up at 7:00 a.m. on school days. On weekends she'll sleep a little later - I guess she needs a lot of sleep compared to some kids! We used to be stricter about bedtime on weekends and holidays - even sort of uptight, as though she was going to turn into a pumpkin or...
Well, a second person has said they feel offended by this thread. I don't really understand - I never said anything bad about bigger kids, I just said I noticed that kids, on average, seem bigger than they were ten years ago. I'm sorry that some people feel offended, but where's the offensive part? :
Yippee!!!! I can't wait for Season 2!!!
Yes, we used this when DD was a toddler, and even continued - now she's 7 and will even ask if she can touch things "with one finger." As a toddler, we let her know which things were a "no touch," a "yes touch," and a "one-finger touch."