or Connect

Posts by Stella_luna

No Accutane! I will never, ever let my DD take it, even if she develops awful acne. I took it for 1 year when I was 22 for really bad acne. While on it, I developed migraines, which I had never had before. It actually changed my brain chemistry. I continued to have them off and on for about 10 years. I also got Crohn's disease and have had 3 surgeries for it and suffered greatly in the last 5 years from it. The Crohn's has made my life hell. I cannot be 100% sure that it...
Yes, the radiation affects the cells in its path, not the whole body, as far as I understand it . . . so brain CT and abdominal CT would be affecting different cells.   An MRE is an MRI of the digestive tract. It's an expensive test and takes a long time to perform, so doctors will almost always recommend the x-ray type tests first, but it images the small intestine. I don't know if it will show the same things your doctor is looking for, and the SBFT shows the...
Hi Mama,   I feel so bad for your dd (and you) . . . this sounds like it's been a terrible ordeal.   Are you talking about a barium enema, or a small bowel follow-through? Unfortunately, those symptoms definitely need to be investigated. If the doctor's concerned about blockage, or inflammatory bowel disease (which can be triggered by a stomach virus), I would ask if my DD could have an MRE first . . . no radiation (but owing to her age she might have to be...
    I wish I could. I've been trying to figure it out forever. It's just been a recurring pattern in my life that I have amazing friends, and they always just lose interest and drift away, or meet someone else and become so into them thye forget about me, and even though I keep up contact, it winds up being one-sided and I eventually give up. I'm totally nonconfrontational so I never ask why. I guess people find me boring after a while. I'm also pretty Aspergery.
Rethought . . . thanks :).
Hi, Dr. Sears:   My daughter is 9. She received all the recommended shots at the recommended times (I was uneducated about vaccines at the time I had her and trusted what my doctor thought was right). Since then, I have learned a lot more about vaccines, and wish I had been more selective. I am concerned about damage to her immune system as she will be genetically prone to autoimmune disorders (I have two of them myself) and she already has allergies.   Now, her...
My DD's horrible vision (+8 in both eyes) was discovered at age 2, and I worried about the same thing. This was a very active kid who refused to wear sunglasses, hats, etc. Well, from the day she got her glasses, she has hated to take them off for any reason at all, even briefly. She is 9 now, and even when she has them off so I can do her hair, she can't get them back on fast enough. I think they improved her vision so much that even at 2, she associated wearing them...
I have a good friend whose son is enrolled in a virtual online public school called Connections Academy. It is a PA public school, so free, but the child works at his own pace, like homeschooling. He is very bright--he just turned 9 last week and is entering 5th grade. He can work as far ahead as his pace allows. It has been a fantastic experience for them. My DD LOVES her school, and we are very happy with it as well, but if it ever starts not working out for any...
Well, we moved to get into a better school district, and I'm really glad we did. In our old neighborhood, the parents seemed to always be complaining about the elementary school in particular, and I had heard a lot of bad things about the high school as well, and problems with overcrowding, very large classes, environmental issues, etc. So when DD was 4 we moved about 10 miles away to an excellent school district (very well-ranked but more importantly to me also very...
You look gorgeous! Love the cut & color. Very light & springy.