or Connect

Posts by bczmama

"would you agree with this statement: "if you can handle 3 kids you can handle 30"? We frequently comment that once you are outnumbered it really doesn't matter how outnumbered you are." Of course, kids might notice the difference between getting 1/3 of your free time and attention and getting 1/30th of your free time and attention.
Does anyone feel pressure against being frugal due to the time involved in many frugal endeavors? For our family, its frequently a toss-up as to what is more valuable -- time (especially time with DH) or money. I try and focus on the cost-saving things that are "easier" time wise -- turning down the thermostat, organizing errands so less gas is used, not buying stuff we really won't use, etc. However there is a lot of stuff we pay for -- primarily services like...
A friend is looking for suggestions of consequences for her 10 yo son. He fired his BB gun in his father's direction, while his father was in the process of setting up the target. The feeling is that he wanted to *scare* his dad, but not actually hit him (since he could have easily managed to hit his dad if he had wanted to). Obviously, the BB gun has been taken away, but additional consequences seem appropriate. The child in question is already in therapy, but she...
I'm a little confused on the 401(k) bankruptcy issue. My understanding is that 401(k)'s and all other ERISA based retirement plans (typical pensions) are protected from creditors in bankruptcy. I understood that to be one of the many reasons you should not liquidate your 401(k) savings to pay down debt (since you lose the bankruptcy protection).
"I don't really think you owe your employer anything but 2 weeks notice." See, I don't think that was Slylives' point. Rather, it is thinking about the repercussions of these sorts of choices on other women in the workforce. And I think its crazy to say that quiting after receiving paid maternity leave, or quiting without notice have NO impact on the attitudes of employers towards women. I think those who make the choice to quit in those situations need to own that.
When we were down there, we went to the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park -- beautiful landscape and lots of Civil War info. http://http://www.chattanoogafun.com.../chch&visit=99
I'm a bit of a movie fanatic, sorry if this list is a little long! I. Ancient History. Spartacus -- with Kirk Douglas, directed by Stanley Kubrick, about trying to throw off the yoke of slavery in Rome. Quo Vadis -- starring the lovely Deborah Kerr, story of the oppression of Christians under Nero. Cleopatra -- there are two versions, the 60s one with Elizabeth Taylor, which I don't really like (very ponderous, long and serious) and a much more fun version...
MSUmama -- you are doing exactly the right thing. You should not have to feel both responsible and terrified for this child's safety all the time. I think its clear your community is close-knit because people are noticing and paying attention to the situation. I've certainly lived in places where neighbors were so isolated from one another that they wouldn't have even seen what was going on. However, it is unfair on the part of the mother to expect the community...
"When you take advice from her, remember that she is considered overly conservative for most people. She gives excellent advice based on her situation--- maintaining wealth, not growing it." 8 months ago, who would think that 3 of the 5 biggest investment banks would be in the situation they are currently in? What other companies (as we go into the deeper recession that it seems increasingly likely we will see before recovery in late 2009/2010) are also teetering on...
We're still doing the regular tax-defered 401(k) and pension contributions, but are not doing other kinds of investments with saved cash (from DH bonus) which we are just holding now in a money market and CDs. My view exactly matches Suze Orman's - today on CNN.com she's saying: "Is this a good time to get into the market? Orman: No. It's not a good time to get in with brand-new money. I would let these markets kind of wash themselves out. On the other hand, if...